We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

McBirney House-One Foot Island

Vancouver, Canada
Level Contributor
23 posts
3 reviews
McBirney House-One Foot Island

Hi!

We are planning our second trip to Aitutaki, and just found out that you can stay on One Foot Island at the McBriney house. Does anyone have first hand knowledge of this place? Or have stayed there before? All the threads and reviews are 5+ years old. I can't find anything current.

Thanks!

4 replies to this topic
Rarotonga, Cook...
Destination Expert
for Rarotonga, Waiheke Island, Southern Cook Islands, Auckland Central
Level Contributor
17,940 posts
130 reviews
1. Re: McBirney House-One Foot Island

Hi Courtney,

I see the McBirney house is still listed, through Island Hopper Vacations at $250.00 per night, with a minimum of 2 nights.

I haven't heard reference to the lodge for some years now. I do know that it's rustic, with the basics in place. But you can get a daytime meal at the Bishop's base when their day-cruises go ashore for lunch. Take your own food otherwise.

Have you also checked out accommodation on Akaiami. Not so basic, and with better accommodation.

All the best for your visit.

Sacramento...
Level Contributor
232 posts
5 reviews
2. Re: McBirney House-One Foot Island

I looked into it earlier this year. I contacted Maria Samuel with Island Hopper. Email is maria.samuel@islandhopper.co.ck

It's a very basic house. It has a kitchen, running water, but does not have a refrigerator. The house cost $250 a night, but you also have to pay for transfers to the island, which are not cheap. They were $220 per person.

Wellington, New...
Level Contributor
9 posts
38 reviews
3. Re: McBirney House-One Foot Island

We stayed here a few years ago and yes it's rustic but magic! All the day trippers go home and its just you on the most beautiful lagoon. We have memories of a chilled Sav blanc on the upstairs deck. Take all your food and drink in and they supply a chilli bin filled with frozen soft drink bottles to keep you food cold. Shower and toilet were fine, nice sheltered deck downstairs. Bedroom upstais. We went out on a day cruise and you get to have lunch and all the snorkelling stops on the way. We were bought back by private transfer as the usual tour wasn't operating. Worth e cry can't. A special location. Take loads of big spray as the mosaics are worse here.

Edited: 27 August 2018, 23:03
Wellington, New...
Level Contributor
9 posts
38 reviews
4. Re: McBirney House-One Foot Island

Excuse the predictive text

Should say worth every cent and mossies are worse

Reply to: McBirney House-One Foot Island
Get notified by e-mail when a reply is posted