We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Resort for 2 adults and a 14 year old

Philadelphia, PA
9 posts
1 review
Resort for 2 adults and a 14 year old

Hi all. We are planning a trip for April 2019 for 5 nights. Since we hear so many nice things about Aitutaki, we were thinking of just spending all nights at a resort there and none on Rarotonga. But it seems the options are limit for beach front resort rooms that can accommodate 2 adults and our 14 year old son. We are fine with them bringing in a bed/cot for him or a couch/bed setup but most have max 2 persons unless you get a big villa. We were ready to book

Etu Moana but I called they said strict policy of no one under 16. So questions are:

1) Any recommendations for a suitable luxury place under 800 NZD a night?

2) Should we just stay on Rarotonga and do a day trip or maybe a night or two on Aitutaki?

For reference, we have traveled to Fiji (mana island), Maldives (true overwater bungalow) and various Caribbean Islands / Mexico / Hawaii. Looking for a nice beach front (or at least nice ocean view) bungalow, lush grounds, modern room.

Thanks!

20 replies to this topic
Aitutaki, Cook...
Destination Expert
for Aitutaki
Level Contributor
2,121 posts
40 reviews
1. Re: Resort for 2 adults and a 14 year old

Hi permesso, welcome to the forum. You might want to check out CostCo Travel as they have packages to the Aitutaki Pacific Resort. They may come up with a package that you can live with. That's really the only luxury resort on Aitutaki that takes children under 16.

Otherwise take a look at Tamanu Beach Resort and Aitutaki Village. They wouldn't fall under the category of luxury but both are very nice resorts on nice beaches. CostCo also has packages to Tamanu Beach Resort.

Good luck with your research. You won't regret spending a week on Aitutaki.

Philadelphia, PA
9 posts
1 review
2. Re: Resort for 2 adults and a 14 year old

Thanks for the info. The Costco suggestion was a good one as they quoted a price that good for everything included. Unfortunately, our dates are fixed (school break) and there is no availability at Pacific Resort Aitutaki during that time. We decided to book Te Manava on Rarotonga instead with a possible day trip at the end to Aitutaki. We weren't able to get a beach front villa because of availability but we will keep an eye on cancellations in case we can upgrade. Any recent concerns with swimming/snorkeling in the waters near Te Manava? Is it easy to walk to restaurants from Manava or is it better to drive? Also, is it possible to walk the beach up to Pacific Resort from Manava?

Overall, the lodging options do seem fairly limited when you have a 14 year old with you.

Edited: 08 August 2018, 19:16
Aitutaki, Cook...
Destination Expert
for Aitutaki
Level Contributor
2,121 posts
40 reviews
3. Re: Resort for 2 adults and a 14 year old

Sorry it didn't work out for the Aitutaki Pacific Resort.

I'm not all that familiar with Rarotonga so you may want to post your question again about Te Manava to the Rarotonga forum.

Auckland Central...
Level Contributor
2,009 posts
87 reviews
4. Re: Resort for 2 adults and a 14 year old

Hi - firstly five nights is such a short time so the time will go by so fast once you are there! You can walk to the restaurants during the day (not great footpaths but it should be safe enough) but I wouldn't walk that road in the dark. I'm not sure if you can walk along the beach, I'm sure someone will help with this. Hiring a car wouldn't add much cost to your holiday and you would certainly get to do more and see more while on Rarotonga.

The day trip to Aitutaki is a great idea but as you only have five days, you will still see beautiful sights if you only stay in Rarotonga. The lagoon cruise out from Muri is a fun day - admittedly not as beautiful as Aitutkai but certainly worth consideration.

Canada/Australia
Level Contributor
1,261 posts
24 reviews
5. Re: Resort for 2 adults and a 14 year old

It's any easy walk along the beach to Muri.

Canada/Australia
Level Contributor
1,261 posts
24 reviews
6. Re: Resort for 2 adults and a 14 year old

What are your dates for April. I just checked the Pacific resort Aitutaki and they have vacancies for Sunday to Friday all during the month of April.

I am assuming you will be flying in on the Sunday morning flight from LAX.

Rarotonga, Cook...
Destination Expert
for Rarotonga, Waiheke Island, Southern Cook Islands, Auckland Central
Level Contributor
18,164 posts
130 reviews
7. Re: Resort for 2 adults and a 14 year old

If you decide upon Rarotonga, the Te Manava villas are all very well appointed. Nice quiet area of Rarotonga, so hopefully one of the beachfront villas will become available.

I would have no hesitation in swimming in the Maai-Tikioki lagoon which is where the Te Manava villas sit. You can walk to Muri at low tide, so as to navigate around the beachfront and between the basaltic rocks. When the stream north of the property is flowing, the delta sees a volume of water coming down from the hills.

Walking along the road is fine in daytime. Many others are walking that route to reach Muri. The Te Manava concierge can drive you to the Pacific Resort for dinner at night.

New Zealand
Destination Expert
for Mamanuca Islands
Level Contributor
2,945 posts
33 reviews
8. Re: Resort for 2 adults and a 14 year old

If you turn left when you exit the resort road entrance around two minutes walk will take you to the recently built Moana Sands Lagoon Resort which has a cafe. We stayed in this area in March this year and my husband found the snorkeling out front to be excellent, particularly heading south (towards the area in front of Fruits of Rarotonga). This is a very quiet part of the island, having a car would give you a lot more freedom to explore other areas where there are more restaurants etc. Another consideration is if it's blowing straight in (which we had for a couple of nights) it's good to be able to jump in your car and hit the beach somewhere with more shelter. It's only around an hour at a leisurely pace to circle the entire island in a car so plenty of options if you want to get out and about and driving is easy - the main road is a loop so getting lost would be difficult, sooner or later you'll end up back where you started from.

Have a wonderful holiday.

Edited: 09 August 2018, 03:47
nz
Destination Expert
for Norfolk Island, Noosaville, Rarotonga
Level Contributor
6,501 posts
295 reviews
9. Re: Resort for 2 adults and a 14 year old

Hi permesso

The new Moana Sands Lagoon Resort is adults only with a maximum room occupancy of 2. I don't know what age is classed 'adult' it varies from resort to resort.

But they do allow children in the restaurant which promises to be very good with a nightly change of menu. But they're not allowed in other parts of the resort.

Sunset Resort (on the west coast in Arorangi) allows children aged 12 and over.

New Zealand
Destination Expert
for Mamanuca Islands
Level Contributor
2,945 posts
33 reviews
10. Re: Resort for 2 adults and a 14 year old

18 is the minimum age for guests wanting to stay at Moana Sands Lagoon Resort.

Reply to: Resort for 2 adults and a 14 year old
Get notified by e-mail when a reply is posted
Get answers to your questions about Aitutaki