We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Rarotonga/Aitutaki - How long to stay?

los angeles
Level Contributor
597 posts
33 reviews
Rarotonga/Aitutaki - How long to stay?

Experts: Planning a trip in June from Los Angeles. Any thoughts on how long to make the trip? I know the length will be somewhat dictated by the flight from and to Los Angeles, but I was thinking approximately 5 nights in Raro and 5 nights in Aitutaki. This would give 4 full days on each island. Thoughts? Not enough, too long, should I split it up differently? Thank you in advance for your thoughts.

10 replies to this topic
Aitutaki, Cook...
Destination Expert
for Aitutaki
Level Contributor
2,143 posts
40 reviews
1. Re: Rarotonga/Aitutaki - How long to stay?

Kia Orana Kepuhi-Dream, I think your plan is a good one. It gives you a chance to experience both islands for a reasonable period of time. Aitutaki is much more laid back than Rarotonga with most of the activities centered around water. There is virtually no night life on Aitutaki. It's more of a get-away kind of place.

Rarotonga is larger with more restaurants and bars available and is busier. Much more traffic on the roads.

If you want a real get away from it all kind of holiday then spend more days on Aitutaki. If you want more night life, restaurant and bar activity then spend more time on Rarotonga.

I am sure you will enjoy your holiday how ever you split it up.

los angeles
Level Contributor
597 posts
33 reviews
2. Re: Rarotonga/Aitutaki - How long to stay?

Thank you /Puapii-teacher! Very helpful. As we are definitely focused on the nature and not the nightlife, you’d still split the time to give enough exploring and beach leisure time on each island?

Auckland Central...
Level Contributor
2,012 posts
87 reviews
3. Re: Rarotonga/Aitutaki - How long to stay?

Hello, as we had been to Rarotonga before, we chose to stay for six nights on Aitutaki. We did the lagoon cruise one day and on the rest just relaxed and swam, walked etc. With this being your first time I think a split of 6 nights at Rarotonga and 4 at Aitutaki would perhaps be better for you. You can certainly do a lagoon trip and see the island very well in that time and given that Rarotonga is larger and there is more to see, 6 nights might be better there.

It's not so much the night life (not into that myself) but more the overall exploring and sights to be seen.

Whatever you choose, you can't really go wrong ;)

los angeles
Level Contributor
597 posts
33 reviews
4. Re: Rarotonga/Aitutaki - How long to stay?

Thank you Scotty girl!

Aitutaki, Cook...
Destination Expert
for Aitutaki
Level Contributor
2,143 posts
40 reviews
5. Re: Rarotonga/Aitutaki - How long to stay?

Hi Kepuhi, yes I would definitely split the difference. It really does depend on what kind of holiday you want as to where you spend your time. There are people on this forum that think one day on Aitutaki is almost too much. There are others that only stop on Rarotonga going to and leaving Aitutaki. If you visit both for several days, you can better decide what to do when you come back on your next visit.

los angeles
Level Contributor
597 posts
33 reviews
6. Re: Rarotonga/Aitutaki - How long to stay?

Thank you again Puapii-teacher. Splitting the time is what I will do!

2 posts
7. Re: Rarotonga/Aitutaki - How long to stay?

Just checking with you what month did you visit the Cook island, we are thinking of going early October, just a bit worried if it will be warm enough for swimming

Thanks

2 posts
8. Re: Rarotonga/Aitutaki - How long to stay?

Just checking with you what month did you visit the Cook island, we are thinking of going early October, just a bit worried if it will be warm enough for swimming

Thanks

Rarotonga, Cook...
Destination Expert
for Rarotonga, Waiheke Island, Southern Cook Islands, Auckland Central
Level Contributor
18,416 posts
130 reviews
9. Re: Rarotonga/Aitutaki - How long to stay?

Kia Orana Leanne, welcome to the Cook Islands forums.

October is a very different month to June. By October the lagoon begins to warm up after winter, and it should be suitable for swimming and snorkelling. Already it is late August, and we have decidedly turned the corner from winter into Spring; which is officially on the 1st September.

So long as you plan to swim and snorkel at a sheltered beach - with preference given to the north and western sides of Rarotonga, you should be away from the cooler, prevailing SE winds.

All the best for your visit, and interests. Kia manuia.

los angeles
Level Contributor
597 posts
33 reviews
10. Re: Rarotonga/Aitutaki - How long to stay?

Hello Leanne, I actually decided on a different destination last year, and this June I went to Bora Bora. I still wish to visit the Cook Islands, and as all seem to state in this forum I'd go in October as I want warm dry weather and warm water, thus October seems like the sweet spot. I'd be interested if anyone else has a differing opinion of a better month. Basically, from what all said herein, I'd expect the October weather in the Cook Islands to be comparable to Bora Bora in June; Dry, warm and with water temps in the 80's.

Reply to: Rarotonga/Aitutaki - How long to stay?
Get notified by e-mail when a reply is posted
Get answers to your questions about Aitutaki
Recent Conversations