We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Tobacco caye lodge or tobacco caye paradise?

Lincoln, Nebraska
Level Contributor
10 posts
2 reviews
Save Topic
Tobacco caye lodge or tobacco caye paradise?

We are going to Tobacco caye in a week and half. Should we stay at Tobacco Caye Lodge or the Paradise?

Also, how safe is Tabacco Caye?

One more question... we arrive in Dangriga at around 5:20 pm, any way to get over to Tobacco Caye at that time or do we have to stay over in Dangriga and go over the next am? Thanks!

22 replies to this topic
Saint James City...
Destination Expert
for San Pedro
Level Contributor
14,474 posts
10 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Tobacco caye lodge or tobacco caye paradise?

It's been several years since I've been to Tobacco Caye. We were a bit late arriving to Dangriga, and our arranged ride to Tobacco Caye wasn't around. Our wonderful cab driver did find us a boat that was heading there.

It was quite an experience. By the time we left Dangriga it was dark. Very dark. Small boat, probably with a bit too much weight on board. Did I mention it was dark????

Thank heavens it was also very calm. Had the seas been rough, I might have died of fright. I'm pretty sure this boat had no running lights, no gps. Good thing he knew where he was headed.

Even getting to where we stayed, Tobacco Caye Lodge was an adventure. It was just so dark. I'm sure we had flashlights, but, it was hard to see.

Making the trip back to Dangriga three days later in bright sunshine was much, much better.

I'm not sure you'll be able to find someone to take you over so late in the day. Tobacco Caye Lodge had made our arrangements, they didn't work out as planned.

I thought Tobacco Caye Lodge was ok. Probably overpriced, but, at least at the time, one of the best two on the island. We did have hot water.

We met a woman who showed us her room at Paradise. Room wasn't much difference, they're both pretty basic, but her veranda was right over the water. No hot water for the shower though. Less than half the price of our room.

I understand that food is/was much better at Tobacco Caye Lodge, at the time it was included in the room price, I think that might have changed.

If I could get one of the rooms at Paradise that has verandas over the water, and be able to eat at TCL, or the other 'larger' property on the other end of the island (can't recall the name), I'd stay at Paradise for sure.

The Dalles, Oregon
Destination Expert
for Guatemala, Belize
Level Contributor
10,395 posts
327 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Tobacco caye lodge or tobacco caye paradise?

I haven't stopped at Tobacco Caye, just passed by on our trips to Glovers and back. I'd like to comment on the safety of heading onto the water there at dark, though. The sun will set as you arrive in Dangriga and it will get dark FAST:

timeanddate.com/worldclock/astronomy.html…

In our experience you're apt to arrive later than you think anyway - just the way it usually works in CA. Although the water will be calmer inside the reef than outside (Tobacco Caye is right on the reef), my experience with boats - I would think especially true if you have to scrounge something up after dark - is they tend to have very little freeboard and very few life jackets.

In other words, I wouldn't make that crossing so late in the day. Dangriga isn't the greatest place to hang imo - any chance you could arrive a few hours earlier??

Lincoln, Nebraska
Level Contributor
10 posts
2 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Tobacco caye lodge or tobacco caye paradise?

This is the first time I have ever been on the tripadvisor forum... this is great! Thanks guys for the info!!! Wish we could arrive earlier, but our flight doesn't get into Belize City until 3:30. Thanks to you, we won't make the trip to Tobacco Caye until the morning:)

So... what about the safety while you are on the island?

Also, since we will be in Dangriga for the evening... anything there we should do or a restaurant we should try?

Edited: 31 October 2011, 00:34
The Dalles, Oregon
Destination Expert
for Guatemala, Belize
Level Contributor
10,395 posts
327 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Tobacco caye lodge or tobacco caye paradise?

Sorry - I can't help much as have only been in Dangriga a few times passing through. You could check out the cool downloads on Lan Sluder's site below or check in your guidebook.

www.belizefirst.com

You could also look into staying somewhere near the airport and flying down the next day - there are some good options and it might be nice to break up the travel time there. Happy trails!

Saint James City...
Destination Expert
for San Pedro
Level Contributor
14,474 posts
10 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Tobacco caye lodge or tobacco caye paradise?

I haven't been to Tobacco Caye for several years, so I hesitate to comment on safety. We felt perfectly safe. The island is so minuscule that there would truly be no where for a 'bad' person to hide, at least not for any length of time.

Lincoln, Nebraska
Level Contributor
10 posts
2 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Tobacco caye lodge or tobacco caye paradise?

Thanks so much for your help guys! I really appreciate you taking the time to help!

Quetzaltenango...
Level Contributor
8 posts
11 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Tobacco caye lodge or tobacco caye paradise?

Hi, just reading your post as this is my same dilemma- please can you update this on your experience on Tobacco Caye and where you stayed and cost? Thanks!

Central America
Level Contributor
1,926 posts
30 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: Tobacco caye lodge or tobacco caye paradise?

I really like Tobacco Caye. It is a very unique place -- funky little Garifuna village packed into a very, very small Caye. Excellent snorkeling off the south end of the Island.

Been there many times, often with charter guests, and never had any concerns about security. Don't know of any problems that have occurred there.

I've always been there aboard a sailboat so can't help you much with the lodging, but I have eaten ashore before and the food has been good typical Belizean fare such as Stew Fish, Rice & Beans.

Funky little beach bar on the west side of the island is a good place to have a few Belikins and watch the sun set.

Lincoln, Nebraska
Level Contributor
10 posts
2 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: Tobacco caye lodge or tobacco caye paradise?

We loved our experience on Tabacco Caye. We usually are more resort kind of people, but this was such a great experience. Another couple and us were the only ones on the island beside the people who live there full time.

We checked out both hotels when we got to the island and stayed at Tobacco Caye paradise. We felt it was the better of the two especially w/ the deck over the water. It isn't much, but the rooms are clean and the food is great and plentiful. The staff is also very hepful!! Oh, and you can't beat the price!!!

We felt very safe the whole time! No problems there. We ended up going to the jungle first b/c I didn't want to waste anytime. I don't think I would have wanted to stay in Dangria for the night if I didn't have to. There didn't seem like much to do there! We did eat down by the boat dock and had a good meal. We also bought supplies and drinks before we went over to the island.

I wrote a review on Tabacco Caye Lodge which I copied down below.

If you are looking for a little off the beaten path adventure...try out Tabacco Caye! Good luck!

Tabacco Caye Paradise is the place to stay if you are going to the island! It is really basic, but very clean. The decks over the water are what make this place the best to stay on the island. The water is so clear and you can see rays and fish right off your deck.

Alvin, the manager was so helpful! He likes it if you call him by his middle name, so be sure to ask him what that is.:)

The food was great and there is always plenty of it! We went lobster "fishing" w/ George and Alvin cleaned the lobster and cooked it up for us w/in 30 mins of getting back to shore. George is a must for snorkling or lobster fishing. Also, AC is great!!! He will take you snorkeling or fishing...basically he will take you to do whatever you want and for really cheap! AC's family is so nice too!

Tobacco Caye is such a neat experience! We loved every minute of it and it even rained one whole day! Thanks everyone for making our stay such a great one!

Waterville Maine
2 posts
Save Reply
10. Re: Tobacco caye lodge or tobacco caye paradise?

I am looking for a current phone number for the Paradise Lodge. Any help?

Reply to: Tobacco caye lodge or tobacco caye paradise?
Get notified by e-mail when a reply is posted
Get answers to your questions about Tobacco Caye