We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Recomended Corcovado Expedition Guide - Rodolfo Gutierrez

Bozeman, Montana
2 posts
Recomended Corcovado Expedition Guide - Rodolfo Gutierrez

I can strongly recommend Rodolfo Gutierrez, rodolfosaenz@hotmail.com. His ability to spot wildlife by sound, smell, sight, knowledge of habitat, was awesome. Moreover, he was a genuine and funny person. Spending three days with him was a true pleasure!

On our trip we saw numerous forms of wild life, including three pumas, two sloths, and many tapirs. It was a trip to remember!

He has his own, independent, Puerto Jiminez based business that is readily capable of taking visitors into the park.

Bozeman, Montana
2 posts
1. Re: Recomended Corcovado Expedition Guide - Rodolfo Gutierrez

We had an excellent three day trip to Sirena with Rodolfo, and I would highly recommend Rodolfo for any trip to the park.

Houston, Texas
9 posts
2. Re: Recomended Corcovado Expedition Guide - Rodolfo Gutierrez

Hi Owen,

Could you please give more details about Rodolfo? I have been in contact with him and Surcostour. His guide fees are $60 per day per person because it's Christmas time vs around $80 for Surcostours. Did you have to pay full amount? Looks like he is asking full deposit to his bank. I am a bit sceptic sending all that money.

Thanks.

ON, Canada
Level Contributor
14,748 posts
45 reviews
3. Re: Recomended Corcovado Expedition Guide - Rodolfo Gutierrez

Derflo,

I would be sceptical of the glowing reviews above ... they might be legitimate, but when someone joins TA just to rave about one tour guide, and has nothing else to contribute to the forums, it's a bit of a 'red flag'.

San Jose, Costa Rica
Level Contributor
51,581 posts
106 reviews
4. Re: Recomended Corcovado Expedition Guide - Rodolfo Gutierrez

Dear Susan…100% with you….good that all members of this great forum we can express our feelings…hard to please everybody all the time!

roadadvisor

Houston, Texas
9 posts
5. Re: Recomended Corcovado Expedition Guide - Rodolfo Gutierrez

Thanks for your response Susan and roadadvisor. Have you toured the Corcovado? If yes, any advices and recommendations on good guides? It seems that Surcostours has a lot of good reviews.

Slovenia
Destination Expert
for Costa Rica
Level Contributor
19,569 posts
63 reviews
6. Re: Recomended Corcovado Expedition Guide - Rodolfo Gutierrez

Derflo, based on my personal not so great experience I am suggesting you to stick with the established guides. Surcos Tours is such business, and they also have more guides so in case of an unexpected event that would prevent one guide to do the guiding, they will be able to substitute it. When dealing with "one man band" you might get stranded.

San Jose, Costa Rica
Level Contributor
51,581 posts
106 reviews
7. Re: Recomended Corcovado Expedition Guide - Rodolfo Gutierrez

Thanks God…I have had the blessing to be in Corcovado many times…I even used to be in my younger days…a guide…that as one of the ways to pay my way to College …..

Very much agree with Xelas…try to deal with a stablished tour company…hopefully certified by ICT…try as much as possible not to pay everything…pay once in Costa Rica

By the way you are WELCOME…please enjoy our country as much as we natives do!

roadadvisor

Edited: 22 October 2014, 00:51
Houston, Texas
9 posts
8. Re: Recomended Corcovado Expedition Guide - Rodolfo Gutierrez

Xelas and roadadvisor - I appreciate so much your comments! It is so helpful to receive such great tips and advices!

I am still in contact with Surcostours and the only thing that concerns me is that a full amount transfert has to be done through their bank. Is that something you've been familiar with? It seems very complicated to do it this way as my bank will withraw a fee for international transfers.... I would be more confortable paying 50% deposit throught an organisation like paypal and the rest in cash when physically there. Could you please explain how it worked for you?

Would you mind telling me with which tour operator did you go with? Or which ones would you recommend besides Ecostours? I am also in contact with Alvaro Montoya from Tamandua EcoTours. Have you heard from him or his tour company?

Thanks again! I can't wait to be in CR!

San Jose, Costa Rica
Level Contributor
51,581 posts
106 reviews
9. Re: Recomended Corcovado Expedition Guide - Rodolfo Gutierrez

Dear Derflo 009..

You are more than WELCOME!!

Well that is a kind of difficult question…IMHO I will not send full payment…maybe to Hotesl not for transfers…Im with you maybe 50% and then 50% once you are here…since land transfers the company do not need the money right away…the spend money once you are inside of the vehicle…or pay park fees once you are here…so why pay in advance the full amount…

I never work with Tamandua but I have had see some ads around…maybe nice if you can ask them to work with you and then try to pay the way you feel good about it

roadadvisor

Edited: 22 October 2014, 05:16
Houston, Texas
9 posts
10. Re: Recomended Corcovado Expedition Guide - Rodolfo Gutierrez

Thanks a lot Roadadvisor! That's very helpful!

Get answers to your questions about Corcovado National Park