We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

GPS Trail Track Data?

New York City, New...
Level Contributor
32 posts
9 reviews
Save Topic
GPS Trail Track Data?

Hi Folks,

Does anyone have GPS trail track data (waypoint coordinates) for the trails in the park? Perhaps know of where this can be obtained? Having data for the three long routes to/from La Sirena aka Los Patos, San Pedrillo and La Lleona would be very useful.

Thank you

Slovenia
Destination Expert
for Costa Rica
Level Contributor
18,840 posts
60 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: GPS Trail Track Data?

Firstly, the hike between Los Pedrillos and La Sirena is officially closed, for quite a long time now. Secondly, a GPS might, or might not work all the way. Specially on the Los Patos to La Sirena route. And thirdly, and most importantly, going with a (good and responsible and certified) guide is not only to reach La Sirena in time (timing for tides on La Leona route and for long hike on Los Patos route) but also safely (wildlife/snakes and injuries). Believe me, when the sun starts to set down, things become much different in the deep of the rain forest.

But to answer the question: no I do not have them. Safe trails!

New York City, New...
Level Contributor
32 posts
9 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: GPS Trail Track Data?

Thanks for the reply. Do you know why a GPS might not work? I have a Garmin GPSMAP 62s, which is reported to work under deep canopy cover and there are some visual GPS tracks of the trail posted online as well. Therefore someone's GPS worked. Unfortunately, the tracks do not include data, just visual waypoints on a GPS track map. I understand a guide is necessary for some inexperienced or intermediate hikers, however there are blogs where intermediate hikers mention whether the guide added any benefit. If the hiker is experienced, knows the hiking speed, the time to river crossings and has reviewed a tidal chart things should line up. That's what a guide will plan for. In regards to snakes, there is little a guide can offer other then educating the hikers to avoid brush, avoid rocks beds, wear tall leather boots, etc.. and watch for snakes for them. If bitten, it will be a rush to get help and extract the individual to a hospital. Perhaps having a Personal Locator Beacon is best in such a situation. I can understand injuries if it's a couple hiking and the man is injured. The Los Patos route is deep jungle and I can understand why a guide may be necessary there even for experienced hikers. Again thanks for the information. I'm just trying to sort out the different skill levels from this response.

Slovenia
Destination Expert
for Costa Rica
Level Contributor
18,840 posts
60 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: GPS Trail Track Data?

Nick, in many points you are correct. However, a hiker is experienced after he/she has already done a couple of hikes in dense rain forest; if so, then taking Los Patos trail on your own, at least you know what you are up to. La Leona is much easier, with enough cautious one and, taking care of tide it can be done without a guide.

What I was referring to is, if first time in such an environment, even otherwise experienced hiker might come into trouble by underestimating the challenges, overestimated his/her average hiking speed, etc. IMO if for the first time hiking there, anyone should go with a guide. On a return visit, that is already another game.

Safe trails!

Palo Alto...
Level Contributor
649 posts
39 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: GPS Trail Track Data?

When we were there two weeks back, a group of guys from San Jose hiked in the Los Patos route and hiked out in the La Leona route using GPS. We hiked in from La Leona route starting pretty late 915am and reaching at sun set and these guys arrived at dark. They mentioned that they couldn't get satellite coverage in certain section and lost their way for about 20 minutes.

1. so it is do able with GPS

2. Please consider the points xeleas mentioned.

New York City, New...
Level Contributor
32 posts
9 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: GPS Trail Track Data?

I was able to get fairly accurate GPS reception with my Garmin GPSMAP 62s through in the secondary jungle around the Sirena station then other areas off the beach on the way back to Carate.

Slovenia
Destination Expert
for Costa Rica
Level Contributor
18,840 posts
60 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: GPS Trail Track Data?

Hello Nick! Already back? Have time to elaborate in a longer report about using GPS while hiking in and out and around Corcovado? Of course, all other details and info highly appreciated!

Bermuda
Destination Expert
for Bermuda
Level Contributor
3,650 posts
30 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: GPS Trail Track Data?

I tried years ago using a garmin gecko with mixed results. It would only lock onto satellites when high up on ridges and hills while still under canopy cover, but when in low areas and between hills under the canopy the gps would lose the satellites.

New York City, New...
Level Contributor
32 posts
9 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: GPS Trail Track Data?

Yes Garmin GPSMAP 62s worked perfectly hiking in and out Corcovado via La Leona trail. It worked perfect in the secondary forest canopy surrounding Sirena. I did not have a chance to take it take it all the way on the Los Patos trail with primary forest, however did enter some primary forest and it worked. Given that other folks have submitted trail tracks for the Los Patos trail my assumption is good GPS works there. Guides mention the rangers make use of GPS as well. I would not trust an iPhone or Garmin watch. I think the level of tree canopy requires a GPSMAP or Oregon. I would like to see if the GPSMAP 62s, which also uses the Russian satellite system, has improved accuracy.

Also note, I did research and La Selva Biological Research Station in Braulio Carrillo National Park has the ability to transmit a differential GPS signal. This gives high accuracy GPS measurement similar to the WAAS system covering the USA. One would need the specialized GPS device and to submit a request for the station to start signal transmission. It may be useful for someone attempting to make the 4 day hike through the Interesect Trail, which I suspect is quite a dangerous challenge even with an experienced guide.

New York City, New...
Level Contributor
32 posts
9 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: GPS Trail Track Data?

Correction, GPSMAP 64s has the ability to receive the Russian GPS satellite signal.

Slovenia
Destination Expert
for Costa Rica
Level Contributor
18,840 posts
60 reviews
Save Reply
10. Re: GPS Trail Track Data?

Some very good info here, Nick. Thank you for this and other related posts, very helpful indeed.

Get answers to your questions about Corcovado National Park