We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Is it worth flying into Sirena station?

Level Contributor
806 posts
Is it worth flying into Sirena station?

We're going to CR in February with 4 days at Bosque del Cabo on the Osa. We're flying into Puerto Jimenez.

I'd really like to see Corcovado park. The "standard" day trip from BdC appears to be a taxi ride to Carate and a beach hike to La Leona. I have to admit that I'm not enthused about a long, hot beach hike.

My ideal would be the Los Patos to Sirena trail and fly out of Sirena but it just doesn't look like we could do that without a backcountry overnight. I'm game but my family isn't.

That leaves me with a flight in and out of Sirena and a day hike around the station.

So, my question is -- is it worth it? The flights are expensive. We're a family of 3 plus a guide, so there's a slight possibility that we could share the cost with a solo hiker but, even so, we're looking at a minimum of $450 just to get in and out. Plus the guide. Plus the taxi to/from PJ. Worst case scenerio is about a $1,000. For one day hike...

Has anyone done the hike around Sirena? Is it worth it?

Toronto, Canada
Level Contributor
377 posts
21 reviews
1. Re: Is it worth flying into Sirena station?

Don't waste your money! Although I really enjoy Corcovado, you really won't see anything here that you won't see around Bosque del Cabo! With only four vacation days on the Osa Peninsula, you will find lots to do (including hiking) around Bosque del Cabo.

St. Petersburg...
Level Contributor
1,160 posts
43 reviews
2. Re: Is it worth flying into Sirena station?

I can't say if it's worth it or not but I can tell you at Bosque you will see just as much, if not more, than you will at Corcovado.

If you do to the park, it would be cheaper to skip the flight, plus it would only add 2 or so hours to your day. Leaving Bosque to PJ will take you about the same time as the drive from Bosque to Carate.

The trails though at Bosque are plentiful enough to keep you busy imho.

Illinois
Level Contributor
1,351 posts
52 reviews
3. Re: Is it worth flying into Sirena station?

We saw more wildlife at Bosque del Cabo than Corcovado. It would not be worth it to me.

St. Petersburg...
Level Contributor
1,160 posts
43 reviews
4. Re: Is it worth flying into Sirena station?

There is so much wildlife on the grounds of Bosque I wouldn't take the time or money to fly into Corcovado for a day trip. With 4 days you will find so much to do & see never even leaving the grounds.

LONDON, UK
Level Contributor
157 posts
97 reviews
5. Re: Is it worth flying into Sirena station?

Hi - me again

Having done the walk BACK from La Leona to Carate (to get a cab back to Bosque) I certainly wouldn't do that section of hike for fun as it's all on beach and not especially rewarding.

We did cab to PJ, ($40) flight with Alfa Romeo, park fees (food, entrance, tent space - $80), cab back from Carate ($80!).

We flew in to Sirena, got in at 9.30am, pitched a tent, spent day doing trails around Sirena, slept, then hiked out to La Leona/Carate.

The trails around Sirena are very good BUT very muddy and, at some points, quite busy. Certainly the trails around Bosque are quieter and less worn.

Having said that we did see animals around Sirena that I didn't see around Bosque (though some of which are, in fairness, seen around Bosque) such as Anteaters, crocodiles in the river).

I didn't especially enjoy my night at Sirena.

The hike from Sirena to La Leona is very do-able but it's a hike, not a nature ramble and so we didn't see much that day as we were walking too fast and not stopping to see things.

On balance, doing it again, I would probably have pulled the Sirena leg and spent an extra day with Philip, Bosque's naturalist, and walked a couple of the trails again more slowly.

Having said that, going all the way to Bosque, and then not doing the last little bit in to Sirena seemed wrong... Don't know; still conflicted on this one.

The main benefit of staying at Bosque, I think is that there are so other few people on the trails, and you can if you want sit for half an hour waiting for things to wander past rather than rushing to make the tide/crossing/cab.

Decisive factors on reflection would be how long I had at Bosque, and what Sirena was like; given Bosque was absolutely perfect and Sirena was a bit less so, that tilts the balance. I think if SIrena had been less busy, less noisy and more 'secluded hut in forest' it might have been worth it. But it wasn't and so I missed my cabin in the Tropical Gardens at Bosque.

Plus of course you can have a cold beer at lunchtime and snooze in your hammock!

MZ

Georgia
Level Contributor
676 posts
14 reviews
6. Re: Is it worth flying into Sirena station?

Hi all,

We were planning to stay at Lapa Rios next March, with an expensive day trip to Corcovado N.P. (Flying into Sirena Station, etc.)... but after reading these posts it sounds like maybe we should reconsider the whole thing and stay at Bosque Del Cabo instead, skipping the Corcovado tour ?? (Haven't made any reservations yet.) We are all about wildlife. The more we see, the more we enjoy our trip. Sounds like the trails around Bosque are as good or better for wildlife viewing than the Corcovado tours ??? Advice ??

Thanks!

San Isidro del...
Level Contributor
938 posts
43 reviews
7. Re: Is it worth flying into Sirena station?

Cabo Matapalo is a very unique area and thus, has an amazing amount of wildlife. Corcovado is a difficult place to hike and that trip to La Leona entrance can be very hot. There is a little trail just off the beach for part of the way.

Staying in places by the park can be just as rewarding as being in the park. The animals don't know where the boundries are. Luna Lodge is set way back from the coast in the Carate area and you don't run into a lot of people on those trails.

Another option that isn't very well known is a hike with Abraham at Bosque del Rio Tigre. I had been hearing about how wonderful he was and decided to check the lodge out on my own a few years ago. He is amazing. Since that trip my husband and I have been back multiple times and always see something new with him. He grew up in the Dos Brazos area just outside of Puerto Jimenez and knows the area completely. He offers hikes of a few hours into primary forest and for the really adventurous he has a full day hike from Dos Brazos to Carate. It is fairly fast paced so you can make it. You could consider a night at Bosque del Rio Tigre with a full day hike to Carate and then be dropped off by taxi at your lodge on Cabo Matapalo after the hike. The trail will not be crowded.

Both Lapa Rios and Bosque del Cabo have offices in Puerto Jimenez. If you should choose to do the long trip with Abraham I would have a day pack and put just the little I might need for that night in it and bring the rest to the office when you arrive in PJ before going to Tigre for the night. It can then be brought to the lodge where it will be waiting for you. By doing this you can get off to an early start and have a little more time on the trail.

8. Re: Is it worth flying into Sirena station?

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 17 September 2009, 08:47
Get answers to your questions about Corcovado National Park