We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

2 nights in Corcovado. Do Tracie The Bug Lady tour too?

Cary, North Carolina
Level Contributor
8 posts
45 reviews
22 helpful votes
2 nights in Corcovado. Do Tracie The Bug Lady tour too?

We have already booked a 3-day/2-night tour in Corcovado with Surcos Tours. We will be spending a couple days in Drake Bay afterward. The tour with Tracie The Bug Lady looks really awesome, but will we see the same things on our tour in Corcovado? With limited time in Drake Bay, I want to spend it wisely. Has anyone both stayed overnight in Corcovado and done the tour with Tracie? Thoughts? Thanks in advance!

9 replies to this topic
Brooklyn, New York
Destination Expert
for Sarapiqui
Level Contributor
8,133 posts
150 reviews
121 helpful votes
1. Re: 2 nights in Corcovado. Do Tracie The Bug Lady tour too?

Completely different. For one, they don't let you hike outside at night at Corcovado. For another, Corcovado is about charismatic mammals, Tracie's tour is about ... well you can probably guess.

Slovenia
Destination Expert
for Costa Rica
Level Contributor
20,699 posts
62 reviews
51 helpful votes
2. Re: 2 nights in Corcovado. Do Tracie The Bug Lady tour too?

Most probably not. Corcovado is about mammals and birds (but if you will insist they will show you also the insects) while Traci is about bugs. Have not done either but read enough to be assured of.

Cary, North Carolina
Level Contributor
8 posts
45 reviews
22 helpful votes
3. Re: 2 nights in Corcovado. Do Tracie The Bug Lady tour too?

Thank you Racandee and Xelas for your input! We wouldn't want to miss out on the bugs of Costa Rica. We will make a date with Tracie the Bug Lady. :)

Paris, Canada
Level Contributor
8,695 posts
20 reviews
50 helpful votes
4. Re: 2 nights in Corcovado. Do Tracie The Bug Lady tour too?

I have done both. If I had to do it again I would pick another night tour (I would definitely want to do a night tour in addition to Corcovado). The tour focuses on insects but they will also look for (sleeping) birds, frogs and mammals. It may have been a slow night but we were a bit underwhelmed. We did see the red-eyed tree frog, a blue scorpion, a tailless whip scorpion, trapdoor spiders (amazing), a net-casting spider (and it actually caught a bug while we were watching which made Tracie ecstatic as it is apparently very rare to witness that) and tent-making bats. But no bugs or any other insects (!), birds, snakes or mammals. Tracie tells a lot of interesting stories and shows videos but there is a lot of talking and I wish more time had been spent actually looking for bugs, birds and other animals.

Cary, North Carolina
Level Contributor
8 posts
45 reviews
22 helpful votes
5. Re: 2 nights in Corcovado. Do Tracie The Bug Lady tour too?

Thank you for the information SoniaToronto. It's great to hear from someone who did both! Based on everyone's feedback, we have decided to do a nighttime bug tour for one of our two nights in Drake Bay. Thank you!

Paris, Canada
Level Contributor
8,695 posts
20 reviews
50 helpful votes
6. Re: 2 nights in Corcovado. Do Tracie The Bug Lady tour too?

Personally, I would not choose a bug tour per se but a regular night tour and I would try to pick one where the focus is on finding wildlife. I am sure they would point out bugs and insects as well but you can also see sleeping birds, nocturnal animals, snakes, frogs... Tracie's tour was interesting but felt more like a lecture.

Brooklyn, New York
Destination Expert
for Sarapiqui
Level Contributor
8,133 posts
150 reviews
121 helpful votes
7. Re: 2 nights in Corcovado. Do Tracie The Bug Lady tour too?

Not sure you'd see that much else on another night tour in Drake--there's a lack of hiking trails in Drake and it's just plain not safe to venture out into the rainforest at night in that area. All kinds of venomous snakes ( including Terciopelos and Bushmasters) and a really dangerous spider--the Bolivian Wandering Spider--are out actively roaming around looking for things to attack.

Personally we found Tracie's tour very educational and there was a lot of observation of insects that is pretty rare for wildlife tours--lots of tours will show you birds or monkeys or sloths, drilling down into insect behavior is a unique experience.

Not sure why seeing a trap-door spider and a net-casting spider actually catching a bug in real time would constitute a disappointing tour. Sounds a lot more interesting than what one sees on most night rainforest tours.

Since you're going into Corvovado, it's very, very unlikely you'd see any kind of good luck at wildlife in Drake during a night tour than you'd get during daylight in Corcovado.

Edited: 05 July 2018, 23:58
Paris, Canada
Level Contributor
8,695 posts
20 reviews
50 helpful votes
8. Re: 2 nights in Corcovado. Do Tracie The Bug Lady tour too?

The spiders were interesting and so were her stories. But we didn't see any bugs or insects! On a bug tour! I love all wildlife and would have loved to see some of those colourful bugs I saw pictures of. Of course I know seeing any kind of wildlife is a question of luck. But, although the tour was very educational and the information was interesting, I wanted to spend much more time actually looking for bugs and other critters. We often just stood on the trail while Tracie talked. At one time she even showed a video and it took time to show it to everyone. She also talked a lot about spiders in other countries. All interesting but I often felt like wandering off and trying to spot wildlife on my own. I would prefer a guide who spends lots of time looking for wildlife (any wildlife) and then when we find it it would be wonderful to hear interesting facts and anecdotes. It would have been nice to see snakes, sleeping birds and maybe some nocturnal animals like kinkajoos. But even if the whole tour had been about bugs and insects I would have been happy. I love bugs and insects. But we didn't see any and didn't spend much time looking.

I would not venture out on my own at night and I assume it is safe with a guide. And there are other possibilities for night tours in Drake Bay. Also, it does not have to be in Drake Bay.

Brooklyn, New York
Destination Expert
for Sarapiqui
Level Contributor
8,133 posts
150 reviews
121 helpful votes
9. Re: 2 nights in Corcovado. Do Tracie The Bug Lady tour too?

Lol, I can see the point.

But, wildlife tour operators always have a luck of the draw factor. We saw a really cool praying mantis species while on our tour, the trap-door spider, and a Bolivian Wandering Spider as well as an American crocodile in the water.

There's a fine line between the appropriate amount of time looking for things and being engaging. Not much fun watching someone watch the bushes.

Odds of seeing a kinkajou are probably 10% or so. We've seen only one on a terrestrial trail.

Best place for a night hike to spot critters is usually a shallow river. Terrestrial trails tend to be a bit less productive. Rivers/streams for whatever reason tend to draw a lot more stuff.

Reply to: 2 nights in Corcovado. Do Tracie The Bug Lady tour too?
Get notified by e-mail when a reply is posted
Get answers to your questions about Corcovado National Park