We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Carate Sirena Carate in July: water, clothes, food, shoes?

San Francisco...
Level Contributor
3 posts
6 reviews
Carate Sirena Carate in July: water, clothes, food, shoes?

We will hiking from Carate and staying 2 nights in Sirena.

Water: Are there enough streams to use a filter to filter our water as needed, instead of carrying 3 liters the whole way? Any long stretches of that 7-8 hour hike in that may not have streams to filter water from?

Clothing: We're thinking of hiking in light, long sleeve shirts and technical (quick dry) pants might better to guard against scrapes from branches, the sun and biting insects...but would this be too hot? We see only see photos of people hiking in tank tops and shorts.

Rain gear in the rain forest: what worked best for you? Poncho or rain hat and jacket? We're thinking poncho, which will cover our day packs and allow more air flow, but might be too billowy for hiking in, as opposed to a light rain jacket (that may be to hot)

Pros and cons of hiking boots: they give better traction on slippery, muddy rocks and roots, but that they are cumbersome to take on and off at river crossings. If they get water inside, they stay wet. Around how many river crossings require this? Hiking in Teva type of water sandals doesn't give us sturdy footing we like, especially if you sink them in mud. We also heard that it's best to have feet protected from biting insects like ants and even leeches? Perhaps wool socks inside the water sandals? What did you wear and what worked best in rain and mud?

Food/Snacks: In addition to packing energy bars, dried fruits and nuts, what did you pack to supplement your meals provided at Sirena? We'll pack food 2 breakfasts and 2 lunches. We're not keen on just eating the mentioned snacks as meals. Did your non snack foods hold up well (being squished in a pack and subjected to the heat) and what was it?

Cameras: I'd like to bring my DSLR and zoom lens. How did you keep your equipment dry and protected, both from the rain and the humidity in wet July?

6 replies to this topic
Ontario, Canada
Level Contributor
9,955 posts
70 reviews
1. Re: Carate Sirena Carate in July: water, clothes, food, shoes?

Did the provider of your Corcovado tour tell you you could bring outside food to Sirena? See the last part here - no outside food is allowed specifically for Sirena. It is my understanding that after 2017, you have to buy food there: https:/… .

Edited: 02 July 2018, 23:48
San Francisco...
Level Contributor
3 posts
6 reviews
2. Re: Carate Sirena Carate in July: water, clothes, food, shoes?

Yes, guided tour provider said we could bring food that did not require cooking, like granola bars, fruit, nuts, etc. There are now rental lockers to store these, as the dorms are under a roof, but open air. Sirena station has hot meals for breakfast ($20), and lunch and dinner ($25 each) which the tour provider reserves for you, as well as your dorm bed for $30 (there is no longer camping allowed). You are not obliged to have these meals and can decide in advance which you want. Sirena once allowed cooking and then modified it to boiling water only and now revised it to no "cooking" at all, so the rules are constantly changing.

Slovenia
Destination Expert
for Costa Rica
Level Contributor
19,952 posts
62 reviews
3. Re: Carate Sirena Carate in July: water, clothes, food, shoes?

Water: you will need to purify the water; always have 2 L bottle ready to drink out.

Clothing: long sleeve and long pants would be my choice. Better to be hot (and Sweaty) as scratched and bitten.

Rain gear: a collapsible umbrella when hiking on the beach; nothing when hiking inside rain forest. Umbreall will work also against sun.

Hiking boots: obligatory! To take them off and on again will also provide you with a much needed respite in your hike. For river crossing a closed-toe water sandals (ours were Keen H20).

Food/snacks: as described by your guide, be sure not to leave any garbage behind.

Camera: a black plastic bin bag to cover the backpack in rain; nothing works against humidity so you will have to rely on how good your camera is built.

Chicago, Illinois
Destination Expert
for Costa Rica
Level Contributor
11,077 posts
23 reviews
4. Re: Carate Sirena Carate in July: water, clothes, food, shoes?

Much of the hike from Carate to Sirena is along the beach in direct sun. If you insist on a long sleeve shirt, then wear a tank top underneath so you can take the shirt off. I never wear long sleeved shirts in Costa Rica unless I’m worried about sunburn. I’d be tempted to wear those ugly convertible pants that unzip to shorts. Tank tops, shorts & hiking boots is the more typical attire.

Ontario, Canada
Level Contributor
9,955 posts
70 reviews
5. Re: Carate Sirena Carate in July: water, clothes, food, shoes?

I do not think they are "ugly". Extremely practical, dry fast, have zipped pockets, very convenient for converting from pants to shorts, especially when travelling from a much colder climate to the tropics, serve as an extra pair of shorts later on, if needed...the only problem is to try and not lose one of the "detached legs" somewhere during the moves around CR.

Paris, Canada
Level Contributor
7,925 posts
20 reviews
6. Re: Carate Sirena Carate in July: water, clothes, food, shoes?

Water: we took our SteriPen (UV water purifier). There were enough water sources. Just tell your guide and he will point them out.

Clothing: we wore quick-dry pants. And quick-dry shirts. I had a quick-dry shirt with long sleeves (bugs love me). Take swimming gear as we went swimming twice. Take a hat of course. Although part of the trail is indeed on the beach (Carate to Sirena) it also often possible to take the trail in the rainforest (on the edge of the beach). Ask your guide to use that trail as much as possible. It has shade and more wildlife. Some guides prefer the beach because it is faster so you might have to ask. I did not wear shorts because of bugs, plants, sun. I mostly did not wear tank tops or even short-sleeved shirts for the same reason.

Rain gear: I had a lightweight rain jacket but a poncho would work too.

Hiking boots: I wore my hiking boots and took them off for river crossings (twice, I believe and the second day we also spent part of the afternoon walking in a river and swimming).

Food/snacks: we took wraps and hard cheese. Hard boiled eggs for the first day. But when we went cooking was still allowed. You can take salami/chorizo. Green peppers, broccoli, carrots... Peanut butter or honey if you can find small packets. Granola/oatmeal (maybe milk powder but just cold water works too). Bagels. Crackers. I am sure I could think of other things... Of course you are also limited to what you can actually find in Puerto Jimenez.

Camera: I had a waterproof bag for my small camera.

Reply to: Carate Sirena Carate in July: water, clothes, food, shoes?
Get notified by e-mail when a reply is posted
Get answers to your questions about Corcovado National Park