We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Carate to Sirena Hike with Backpack

Kamloops, Canada
Level Contributor
5 posts
1 review
Carate to Sirena Hike with Backpack

My husband and I are planning a trip to Corcovado National park and we will be doing the hike from Carate in to Sirena Ranger Station. We were hoping to bring our travel backpacks (which weigh 20lb each maximum) as we are trying to find a way to get to Drake bay from Sirena Station. The tour company we have found that does offer this package has said that it is impossible to do the hike in from Carate to Sirena with your bags as it is around 20km.

I am wondering if anyone who has done this hike agrees with this, or if the tour company is, understandably, being overly cautious. We are both young and fit and have been practicing building up our endurance by going on hikes in our area (25 degree and higher weather at this time of year) with our backpacks on.

We will be going in January. Also, any other helpful hints from anyone would be greatly appreciated!

4 replies to this topic
Paris, Canada
Level Contributor
8,349 posts
20 reviews
1. Re: Carate to Sirena Hike with Backpack

I wouldn't say it is impossible. Given a choice I would not have wanted to do it (we did Carate-Sirena-Carate). The trail is not that hard (mostly flat) but it gets hot and there is deeper sand here and there. The heat is probably the main problem. I do understand that the tour company advises against it as there have been issues on the trail before with people who were really in no condition to do a hike like that (even without a heavier backpack). If you want to hike from Carate to Sirena, stay overnight at Sirena and then the next afternoon take a boat to Drake Bay you should book that all with the same tour company. You will need a reservation for the boat. I know for example that Surcos Tours, Ficus Tours and Osa Wild offer it. Some companies can also bring your backpacks to Drake Bay but at a cost of course.

Edited: 21 June 2018, 19:52
Kamloops, Canada
Level Contributor
5 posts
1 review
2. Re: Carate to Sirena Hike with Backpack

Yes the company we are going with does arrange transport for bags, that idea just makes me uneasy. We have the osprey farpoint 55 backpacks and the 15l day pack that they come with I do not feel has enough room for everything we would need for the hike and the nights spent at the station which is another reason we thought bringing our bags would be the better option despite the added weight. Hmmmmm

Slovenia
Destination Expert
for Costa Rica
Level Contributor
20,462 posts
62 reviews
3. Re: Carate to Sirena Hike with Backpack

It is a safety precaution. Not only your fitness level is in the formula. What if you spring an ankle?! Who will carry the extra load? Not the guide, and not your companion. So follow the wise advice by the company, and gave the extra luggage to be transported to Drake Bay. Apart of the spare t-shirt and pair of socks (and maybe underwear) there is nothing else you will need in La Sirena!

Paris, Canada
Level Contributor
8,349 posts
20 reviews
4. Re: Carate to Sirena Hike with Backpack

We packed very light. And you don't have to take food like we did as you now have to buy the meals at the ranger station. We were told 3 liters of water per person. As we did not want to carry that much we took a Steripen (UV water purifier). There were some spots where we could fill our water bottles. Ask the tour company about that. We took sunscreen, bug spray, lightweight rain jacket, one extra quick-dry T-shirt, socks, underwear, a hat, ear plugs. I wore hiking boots. I did not take shorts (bugs!) or extra pants. I did take swimwear (not sure if you will be swimming but we did) and a small quick-dry towel. And toilet paper. Ask the tour company if you should take first aid.

You are young and fit so I think you can probably carry your backpacks but of course I can't be sure and it is also easy for me to say that as I am not responsible. The tour company will either allow it or not. You can try contacting other companies and see what they say.

Are you spending 2 nights at Sirena? You could get away with one night if you will be leaving by boat to Drake Bay. Have you considered Los Patos-Sirena-Carate or Carate-Sirena-Carate? And then go to Drake Bay by bus from Puerto Jimenez. That is what we did. It is only possible in the dry season but January should be okay. There is a bus to La Palma and then a bus to Drake Bay.

Edited: 21 June 2018, 20:43
Reply to: Carate to Sirena Hike with Backpack
Get notified by e-mail when a reply is posted