We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

TRIP REPORT: Corcovado with kids

bklynyoga
Level Contributor
37 posts
94 reviews
54 helpful votes
TRIP REPORT: Corcovado with kids

We are 2 adults and 3 kids - ages 11,10,8. We spend 5 days in Puerto Jimenez. While we loved it there, I think 3-4 days would have been enough and we left a day early bc we ran out of what to do and one more jungle hike was not in the cards. I recommend staying in Jimenez. I looked at Iguana Lodge and went to see it and was SO happy not to have chosen that. It is on a bumpy road, is isolated, slightly washed out looking for the money. For us with our kids, it would not have been ideal. Also no need to stay in Carate - too remote and nothing to do beyond the park.

As for the park. We did the 18 KM trip BUT we got through 11 kms only because our kids were waning and the guide from Ficus (amazing!)- named Luis- said that the big mistake a lot of people make is pushing through the 18 kms. So we turned back at the river. It was an amazing trip. Paid $195 for the 5 of us while other tour guides wanted $250 and up. We saw toucans, sloths, anteaters, coati, monkeys, tons of birds.

Another day we did horse back riding with Rancho Tropical and loved it! It is expensive though at %75 per person but we loved it!

Another day to the water falls at Matapalo - not the King Luis ones - the closer ones where you park right after Martinas bar. That was pretty great. The hike is mostly through the river so bring water shoes.

We did the zip lining at Osa Palmas which was great. Nowhere near as high as other lines. But great for novices like us.

One more day we went to the beach - MEH! I would not go to Osa for the beaches. They are either too dangerous OR they are just not inspiring.

All in all we had a great time BUT PJ is a great base but nothing more. The restaurants are so so. There is nothing to do. It is hot and dusty. IF you are a couple - then maybe some romantic spot would be great but as a family of 5 - we were ready to leave by day 5 even though we planned for 6 days.

13 replies to this topic
Umatilla, Florida
Level Contributor
604 posts
6 reviews
6 helpful votes
1. Re: TRIP REPORT: Corcovado with kids

You missed a lot of cool things to do in PJ. The wildlife sancuary located across the Gulfo Dulce is awesome! The mangrove kayaking is wonderful. You can also do a sunset kayak trip to paddle with dolphins.

bklynyoga
Level Contributor
37 posts
94 reviews
54 helpful votes
2. Re: TRIP REPORT: Corcovado with kids

Thanks. I heard a lot of mixed reports about that sanctuary so we skipped it and went to Alturas one instead. We wanted to do the kayaking - glad that is amazing!

Auckland Central...
Level Contributor
155 posts
30 reviews
15 helpful votes
3. Re: TRIP REPORT: Corcovado with kids

Thanks for the trip report. It is very helpful. Would you be able to tell us about the 18km hike in the park? Where did you enter the park? Did you go to Carate and then walk along the beach into the park? Many thanks!

San Jose, Costa Rica
Level Contributor
53,564 posts
122 reviews
21 helpful votes
4. Re: TRIP REPORT: Corcovado with kids

Thank you for the report...nice to learn about the kids...

roadadvsior

Slovenia
Destination Expert
for Costa Rica
Level Contributor
20,699 posts
62 reviews
51 helpful votes
5. Re: TRIP REPORT: Corcovado with kids

I can relate to your words. Both Osa and Puerto Jimenez are very specific destinations; one goes there for wildlife mostly, and hiking the Cabo Matapalo or the La Leona - Rio Madrigal trail with 3 kids is sometimes not that excited thing to do. IMO your report portraits the area very well ... just from the other viewing angle.

bklynyoga
Level Contributor
37 posts
94 reviews
54 helpful votes
6. Re: TRIP REPORT: Corcovado with kids

So you need to go with a guide or the park does not let you in. Since we were staying at PJ, we entered from Carate. There is not too much beach walking - maybe a total of 30 minutes. If you walk to La Sirena, there is a lot of it and it was HOT and mega humid.

Auckland Central...
Level Contributor
155 posts
30 reviews
15 helpful votes
7. Re: TRIP REPORT: Corcovado with kids

Thanks bklynyoga. Ok, I now have found a park map that seems to show approximate trails. I see that the walk to Sirena seems to be mostly on the beach. Did you walk to La Leona and then head inland into the park? Or did you not go much further than La Leona? Thanks again,

bklynyoga
Level Contributor
37 posts
94 reviews
54 helpful votes
8. Re: TRIP REPORT: Corcovado with kids

No we stayed in PJ so we took our rental to Carate and walked from there. You have to park in Carate and walk to the ranger station and that is 2 miles I think and then you walk the rest and it is a mix of mostly jungle and SOME beach. Not a lot but after Rio Magrigal it becomes a lot of beach I understood. We turned around and only did 11 KM.

Ontario, Canada
Level Contributor
10,700 posts
71 reviews
187 helpful votes
9. Re: TRIP REPORT: Corcovado with kids

@7, useful info for visiting Corcovado - https:/… .

San Jose, Costa Rica
Level Contributor
53,564 posts
122 reviews
21 helpful votes
10. Re: TRIP REPORT: Corcovado with kids

Yes around Madrigal river is somenthing else...famous for some gold diggers...since is not to deep into the jungle and some good old gold.

And once again you are WELCOME

roadadvisor

Reply to: TRIP REPORT: Corcovado with kids
Get notified by e-mail when a reply is posted
Get answers to your questions about Corcovado National Park