We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Driving from Puerto Jimeniz to Carate in late November 2014

billings, mt
Level Contributor
161 posts
134 reviews
Driving from Puerto Jimeniz to Carate in late November 2014

I have read the road has been improved but that the rivers can still be too deep to cross. Since it will still be the rainy season is it likely the road will be impassable one way or the other? We would like to plan out our week as much as possible, and if it is not likely we will be able to make the drive I would like to know that now. Of course I realize weather can be unpredictable. I just don't know how much rain is likely by 27 Nov.

5 replies to this topic
Slovenia
Destination Expert
for Costa Rica
Level Contributor
19,164 posts
62 reviews
1. Re: Driving from Puerto Jimeniz to Carate in late November 2014

Are you planning to overnight in Carate? Anyway, yes, it is impossible to predict if there will be heavy rains that could raise the level of the river above the car limit. But there are always trucks as Carate needs daily connection with the rest of the country.

Coming from PJ, a good sign of situation is Rio Tamales near Martina(s Place (Buena Esperanza Bar). If this one is difficult to cross, Rio Piro and Rio Nuevo will be even harder to get across.

billings, mt
Level Contributor
161 posts
134 reviews
2. Re: Driving from Puerto Jimeniz to Carate in late November 2014

thanks for the tip

San Jose, Costa Rica
Level Contributor
50,868 posts
38 reviews
3. Re: Driving from Puerto Jimeniz to Carate in late November 2014

Most of the time ,,,rivers go up and a some hours later will come down…the best if the river looks to big…PLEASE wait for a local driver…and hopefully you will follow what ever they said…please do not take any chances…COMMON SENSE!

Do not take any chances…a small creek around there can turn into a nasty one!

roadadvisor

billings, mt
Level Contributor
161 posts
134 reviews
4. Re: Driving from Puerto Jimeniz to Carate in late November 2014

If the rivers are passable without too much difficulty how long does it take to drive from Puerto Jimeniz to Carate?

Slovenia
Destination Expert
for Costa Rica
Level Contributor
19,164 posts
62 reviews
5. Re: Driving from Puerto Jimeniz to Carate in late November 2014

As I remember well, our local driver needed 1 hr 30 min. All rivers were low. You should drive a bit slower so calculate up to 2 hrs.

Reply to: Driving from Puerto Jimeniz to Carate in late November 2014
Get notified by e-mail when a reply is posted
Get answers to your questions about Carate
More Carate Topics