We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Puerto Jimenez, Zancudo and ??? Any ideas?

Montreal, Canada
5 posts
Save Topic
Puerto Jimenez, Zancudo and ??? Any ideas?

Hi,

We are going to Costa Rica for 3 weeks in July. We want to fly to Osa for most of the trip (yes I know most people like to go all around costa rica, we dont). We want to spend about 4 nights in Puerto Jimenez and one week relaxing in Zancudo. That would leave us with about a week for another destination. Any suggestions? (in Osa or anywhere else)

We would be flying to Osa and don't have enough money to fly anywhere else.

We are travelling with kids 4-6-8 years old.

One idea was to take the bus one way to Golfito, stopping along the way. Anything interesting to see on the way there? Would it be ok in July with the rain and the roads?

Mentioned in this post
Costa Rica
Costa Rica
Central America
Osa Peninsula
Osa Peninsula
Province of Puntarenas, Costa Rica
Puerto Jimenez
Puerto Jimenez
Osa Peninsula, Costa Rica
The Zancudo Lodge
The Zancudo Lodge
168 Reviews
Golfito, Costa Rica
Golfito
Golfito
1. Re: Puerto Jimenez, Zancudo and ??? Any ideas?

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

TripAdvisor staff removed this post at the original author's request.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 20 April 2018, 06:51
Chicago, Illinois
Destination Expert
for Costa Rica
Level Contributor
10,536 posts
23 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Puerto Jimenez, Zancudo and ??? Any ideas?

If you're actually staying right in Puerto Jimenez for 4 days, I would spend your week in Cabo Matapalo or Carate. Far more wildlife and access to nature in these spots than PJ.

Mentioned in this post
Puerto Jimenez
Puerto Jimenez
Cabo Matapalo
Cabo Matapalo
Carate
Carate
Corcovado National Park, Costa Rica
Ottawa
Level Contributor
369 posts
7 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Puerto Jimenez, Zancudo and ??? Any ideas?

I agree with crfan about Cabo Matapalo. Beautiful beaches, rainforest, abundant wildlife. Lots to see that's interesting!

Mentioned in this post
Cabo Matapalo
Cabo Matapalo
Paris, Canada
Level Contributor
6,152 posts
20 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Puerto Jimenez, Zancudo and ??? Any ideas?

What is your budget for lodging (how much per night)? I agree that staying in Cabo Matapalo (or Carate) would be better but lodging there is not cheap. If you won't be staying there I highly recommend taking day trips to both places. Another option would be Dos Brazos de Rio Tigre:

http://www.dosbrazosderiotigre.com/index.html

Drake Bay would be hard to reach in July as the bus from Puerto Jimenez to Drake Bay via La Palma normally doesn't run in the rainy season. In that case you would have to take a bus to Palmar Norte, bus/taxi to Sierpe and boat to Drake Bay. Lots of expensive lodges but there are a few that are more affordable and there is also cheaper lodging in the small village. There are a few nice beaches and a fun jungle river (Rio Claro) but for most exploring you would have to book a tour and tours are not cheap. You can get to Sirena in Corcovado Park from Sirena by boat. A week in Drake Bay would be too much for me but maybe... if you find a place to stay you really like.

Maybe Piedras Blancas. I researched it for a bit at one point but we didn't go.

You could also consider taking the bus from San Jose to Puerto Jimenez and stopping somewhere else on the way.

Mentioned in this post
Cabo Matapalo
Cabo Matapalo
Carate
Carate
Corcovado National Park, Costa Rica
Drake Bay
Drake Bay
Puerto Jimenez
Puerto Jimenez
Corcovado National Park
Corcovado National Park
San Jose
San Jose
San Jose Metro, Costa Rica
Montreal, Canada
5 posts
Save Reply
5. Re: Puerto Jimenez, Zancudo and ??? Any ideas?

Wow thanks all for your reply! I will look into those places.

I don't think it would be Drake Bay (for the price and the trouble getting there) but the other options look nice.

Our budget is about 100 to 150$ per night. It gets tricky as we are 5 and most family rooms are for 4, but some places offers options for 5 (I guess we could pay a little extra will some meals included).

Any more ideas of places or hotel are more than welcome!! Now I will go do some research on those places :)

Mentioned in this post
Drake Bay
Drake Bay
Paris, Canada
Level Contributor
6,152 posts
20 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Puerto Jimenez, Zancudo and ??? Any ideas?

Check out:

http://www.osarainforestrentals.com/

They have two rainforest houses in Dos Brazos de Rio Tigre and 4 beach houses (2 of them close to Cabo Matapalo). Read reviews on Tripadvisor to learn more about the houses. Maybe Casa Troya would be a good fit. I recommend buying groceries in Puerto Jimenez.

Also check Airbnb and VRBO.

Mentioned in this post
Cabo Matapalo
Cabo Matapalo
Puerto Jimenez
Puerto Jimenez
Ontario, Canada
Level Contributor
8,036 posts
66 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Puerto Jimenez, Zancudo and ??? Any ideas?

I have been looking into those rentals, mentioned by Sonia, too. I do not think the OP is going to be renting a car (?). This is what concerns me about those rentals, as we do not want to be renting a car (from one of the TA reviews): "Saying your off the beaten path is an understatement. The village is very small and going back into town takes 30 minutes down an unpaved, bumpy road. Knowing what I do now, we definitely would have rented a car. Round-trip will set you back $50 for cab fare, so if you're wanting to go in town for food, tours, etc., the fares can add up quickly.

- You really do need to bring all supplies with you (again, hour round trip to get to town). We go the basics for 4 days and it set us back ~$100. It seems anything packaged is fairly expensive, so if you are open to eating simply, you can probably get by for less. "

Edited: 25 April 2017, 04:26
Montreal, Canada
5 posts
Save Reply
8. Re: Puerto Jimenez, Zancudo and ??? Any ideas?

Thank you so much for helping me with this!

You are right we are hoping not to rent a car (kind of putting the car money in airfare to PJ instead, but I realise it's not easy to do costa rica on a smaller budget). I did also look at the all inclusive in cabo matapalo and they look like heaven on earth but would come to about 500$ a night for the 5 of us! The houses from osarainforestrental look amazing too, now I'm second guessing about renting a car!

We did find an airbnb near playa platanares (15$ cab to PJ), I'm considering the option also.

I'm wondering if we should choose the last destination outside of Osa just in case we find the humidity and rain a bit too intense after a while... If we go for that, any of you have idea of where to go that would complement Osa?

Thanks again!!!!!!

Mentioned in this post
Osa Peninsula
Osa Peninsula
Ontario, Canada
Level Contributor
8,036 posts
66 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: Puerto Jimenez, Zancudo and ??? Any ideas?

Osa is an expensive destination, due to the expense of getting there, desirable accommodations, hence the prices, and especially the guided park, etc tour prices, so spending some time elsewhere, where you can get to by public transportation, might save you some money. You have 3 wks, that's enough time. See https:/…budget hotel collections, and twoweeksincostarica.com/costa-rica-destinati… to get brief info on other destinations. Keep in mind the weather in July when choosing, too. The car rental will cost you a lot of $$ vs taking public transportation, if this is smth you might consider. Transportation options in CR- https:/…Transportation.html .

Mentioned in this post
Osa Peninsula
Osa Peninsula
Paris, Canada
Level Contributor
6,152 posts
20 reviews
Save Reply
10. Re: Puerto Jimenez, Zancudo and ??? Any ideas?

If you are staying in Dos Brazos de Rio Tigre you can also take a bus to Puerto Jimenez on weekdays which is much cheaper than a taxi. If you are staying in or closer to Cabo Matapalo you would have to buy groceries for a week (assuming that is how long you are staying) in Puerto Jimenez. Or plan one trip to Puerto Jimenez by taxi. That would be cheaper than renting a car for the whole stay.

We stayed in Dos Brazos and not even in the village but in a rainforest hostel a 30 minute walk from the village through the rainforest. There was no refrigeration. We were there for 3 days (and could have stayed longer) and took food that we bought in Puerto Jimenez. If you have a fridge you can stock up for much longer. There are two tiny stores in Dos Brazos (bread, some cans, drinks, rice, beans, coffee...) Or, you can take one trip into PJ. Not that big of a deal. I do realize it is probably all much harder with 3 young kids.

Check out Casa Bambu. Not within your budget probably but read their FAQ and other pages to get a better idea of the area:

http://www.casabambu-beach-house-rentals.com/

As far as staying closer to PJ... we did see wildlife while walking closer to PJ as well. And people staying at the Iguana Lodge (which is on Playa Platanares) comment on seeing macaws, monkeys and with a bit of luck sloths, toucans...

But if you stay closer to PJ I do recommend a day trip to Cabo Matapalo. To get to Cabo Matapalo there is public transport very early and you can take it back to PJ in the afternoon. Maybe a taxi one way and public transport the other way would work. Or rent a car for the day (look at Solid).

I also love the Caribbean coast but it would be rainy there as well. Still, the National Park in Cahuita is amazing (beaches, rainforest trail, lots of wildlife) and Cahuita is a nice town. It is less expensive than the Osa. The beaches south of Puerto Viejo are great too. Look at Manzanillo and Punta Uva. You can easily get around by bus there and south of PV you can also rent bikes. Lots of wildlife in that area.

http://cahuitainfo.com/

https://www.puertoviejosatellite.com/

Mentioned in this post
Puerto Jimenez
Puerto Jimenez
Cabo Matapalo
Cabo Matapalo
Casa Bambu Resort
Casa Bambu Resort
249 Reviews