We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Tamarindo to Osa

Edinburgh, United...
1 post
Tamarindo to Osa

Hello,

We are 2 adults and 2 kids staying in a hotel in Tamarindo for 2 weeks, we want to see the best wildlife so we are thinking of driving to Osa for approx 4 nights to a week.

Please can you let us know if you think we should stay in Drakes Bay and the logistics of driving, we want to be as close to wildlife as possible but as we have the kids might not be able to do long kikes.

Can you recommend anywhere else for us to go to see wildlife and the best lodges to stay in that we will see the most wildlife.

Thank you

Ontario, Canada
Level Contributor
9,799 posts
70 reviews
1. Re: Tamarindo to Osa

It is usually not recommended to drive to Drake Bay, especially during the rainy season, not sure when you r going.

Most fly there (Sansa or Nature Air) or drive to Sierpe and then take water taxi to Drake Bay. (Your hotel in Osa could help you book water taxi seats, but you will be paying to the captain.) Your hotel will tell you if they can meet you by the airport or by the boat launch ("wet landing", feet in the water, walk to the drier sand) and help you get to the actual accommodations with the luggage. Note luggage restrictions for domestic flights if you decide to fly.

Paris, Canada
Level Contributor
7,868 posts
20 reviews
2. Re: Tamarindo to Osa

We saw more wildlife in the Puerto Jimenez area than in Drake Bay. But we stayed at a hotel in the village in Drake Bay. It might be different if you choose one of the lodges (often only accessible by boat). I don't know how old your kids are or how far they can walk but we enjoyed the beach hiking trail in Drake Bay from the village to several nice beaches and a jungle river where you can take a guided canoe trip to waterfalls. We saw monkeys and birds on that trail. Also, if you choose Drake Bay you can get to the Sirena ranger station in Corcovado Park by boat. Lots of wildlife around Sirena. Staying overnight at Sirena would be even better.

If you choose Puerto Jimenez the best way to see wildlife is to get out of town. We saw wildlife while hiking on trails outside of PJ. We also stayed in Dos Brazos de Rio Tigre and enjoyed the trails and river. You will see all kinds of animals there but that area is mostly known for birds. Carate is another option. If you can afford it I would choose Cabo Matapalo as there is lots of wildlife in that area. Check out Bosque del Cabo. Or Casa Bambu.

The Osa is far from Tamarindo. I will let others comment on how to get there but it might be better to fly.

Charlottesville...
Level Contributor
71 posts
79 reviews
3. Re: Tamarindo to Osa

Corcovado National Park has the best wildlife viewing in CR, in my opinion. Before departing Tamarindo, try Palo Verde or Rincon de la Vieja Parks, as they also have wildlife.

Instead of driving, I recommend you fly. I realize you must buy 4 tickets, but Nature Air and other regional operators fly from Tamarindo to Puerto Jimenez. The scenery is a real treat from the air. From Puerto Jimenez, you can take a car hire to an eco lodge adjacent to Corcovado National Park. The lodge operators can certainly arrange the ground transportation. Keep in mind that Tamarindo is located in the dry forest of Guanacaste. Osa is very humid, and more prone to showers and thunderstorms.

Playa Conchal...
Level Contributor
2,067 posts
85 reviews
4. Re: Tamarindo to Osa

That's about a 12 hour drive if all goes well!

5. Re: Tamarindo to Osa

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 28 March 2018, 09:48
Get answers to your questions about Osa Peninsula