We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Jeep Boat Jeep Price difference?

Cincinnati
Level Contributor
36 posts
2 reviews
Save Topic
Jeep Boat Jeep Price difference?

Hi, I have a quick question. My hotel quoted me $39 per person for Jeep Boat Jeep transfer from La Fortuna to Monteverde. Looks like it is $20 per person from the site online. What is up with the price difference? Should I be wary of using hotels in costa rica to make reservations? This would have cost me double if I went through the hotel.

San Jose, Costa Rica
Level Contributor
3,528 posts
Save Reply
1. Re: Jeep Boat Jeep Price difference?

For tours and that specific transfer I would say go directly with the tour operator, hotel tour desk might charge more. Also depending on the operator their are using there might be some small differences but this is a huge difference.

Edited: 12 January 2012, 03:15
Grecia, Costa Rica
Destination Expert
for Province of Alajuela
Level Contributor
7,873 posts
43 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Jeep Boat Jeep Price difference?

Sounds like the hotel is tacking on some extra fees. Book direct is my advice.

Cincinnati
Level Contributor
36 posts
2 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Jeep Boat Jeep Price difference?

how easy is it to call and make a reservation the day of. We were told to wait and make plans according to the weather. Our trip is at the end of January so should be the dry season. Would you wait and book accordingly or just book ahead?

Chicago, Illinois
Destination Expert
for Costa Rica
Level Contributor
9,091 posts
24 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Jeep Boat Jeep Price difference?

You also better find out if the $20 cost includes pickup from the hotel you are staying at. Some hotels are an added cost because they're not on the main route from La Fortuna to the lake, for instance tour companies often charge extra for pickup at Lost Iguana or The Springs because of the added distance.

As to calling and waiting to make a reservation: If it's raining the day before are you not going to Monteverde the next day? Are you going to take the shared shuttle van instead? How do you know what the weather will be the day you need to travel. If you wait to decide and make a reservation the actual morning you need to depart Arenal for Monetverde, they may not have room for you on the boat or the jeep and then what will you do on such short notice? Recommend you make reservations at least a couple of days out unless you have a flexible schedule.

Punta Uva, Costa...
Destination Expert
for Puerto Viejo de Talamanca
Level Contributor
6,874 posts
10 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Jeep Boat Jeep Price difference?

If you are within their range of location, the price is $29, $20 seems too good to believe.

Chicago, Illinois
Destination Expert
for Costa Rica
Level Contributor
9,091 posts
24 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Jeep Boat Jeep Price difference?

Maybe $20 is without life preservers? Arenal.net shows the cost at $25/person but don't know which company they're booking you through. There could still be an extra cost if your hotel is not on the main road.

Cincinnati
Level Contributor
36 posts
2 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Jeep Boat Jeep Price difference?

I meant wait the day of to book tours not the transfer

San Jose, Costa Rica
Level Contributor
46,099 posts
32 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: Jeep Boat Jeep Price difference?

MOst people charge $ 29.00...dealt direct with service providers...

roadadvisor

Cincinnati
Level Contributor
36 posts
2 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: Jeep Boat Jeep Price difference?

it is $29. The $20 site was old but that is still 10 dollars less per person

San Jose, Costa Rica
Level Contributor
459 posts
21 reviews
Save Reply
10. Re: Jeep Boat Jeep Price difference?

$25-29 sounds right. You must be in a hotel that the transfer charges extra.