We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Hotel Villa Roca

Boston
8 posts
Save Topic
Hotel Villa Roca

Has anyone stayed at Hotel Villa Roca in Quepos? Thumbs up or down?

chicago
1 post
Save Reply
1. Re: Hotel Villa Roca

Yes, have been there, very american. owner and staff not really friendly, they are more looking after your money, than they offer service.

Georgetown, Guyana
Level Contributor
2 posts
4 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Hotel Villa Roca

Villa Roca is a very nice place - stayed there in summer 2005. It's an all gay male, clothing optional hotel. The owner who was on duty when I was there was very friendly and informative. My room was quite large, with a safe (very important if you're planning on having "visitors"), the grounds were well kept, the pool is fabulous (one of these "edgeless" cascading things. Not sure they serve meals other than brakfast (which was quite ok) but there are several restaurants in walking distance. There's a gay clothing optional beach, also in walking distance but it's a long walk downhill and up again so some people prefer to take a taxi/bus to the other end of the beach and and walk the distance. There are several other gay/gay-friendly establishments in the area and the hotel will give you all the information.

Indianapolis...
Level Contributor
1 post
37 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Hotel Villa Roca

I have stayed at the Villa Roca twice. 2/2004 and 2/2006. I am planning on going 2/2008. This is a fabulous place. They now serve a full breakfast and the views are amazing! EVERY room has a view of the ocean, and the Titi monkeys are everywhere. The pool is an infinity pool and they have added a jacuzzi (it was being installed my last stay). The staff is very friendly, especially the housekeeping staff. There is a tour company called GayTours Costa Rica that have lots of activities the hotel will arrange for you. I highly recommend the sunset sail and the horseback riding, you will not be disappointed. I've done these both 2 times!

Boston...
Level Contributor
1,754 posts
18 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Hotel Villa Roca

I stayed at Villa Roca for a week in May, and figured this string deserves to be refreshed with a current comment or twelve.

Villa Roca couldn't have been nicer. The room was very large, spotlessly clean, and had the nicest view you could imagine. It seemed like they had as many staff members (maids, grounskeepers, desk, etc.) as there were guests. The grounds were immaculate, and the pool was crystal clear and cleaned every day.

Every morning, we enjoyed a cooked-to-order poolside breakfast with an open buffet of fresh fruits, yogurt, juices and coffee.

The pool is "clothing optional", but only a very few times the whole week did we see one or two guests take advantage of that option.

The atmosphere was exceedingly friendly, and we easily struck up friendships with most of the other guests, from all around the Americas and Europe, who we ran into all over Costa Rica during our whole stay! At 4PM (if it wasn't pouring rain), the hotel had a bartender (Miguel) set up poolside... and he provided music, making it sort of a mini "tea dance" of about 20 people.

The location is convenient to lots of excellent restaurants, and the rooftop bar across the street was fun, though not very active (at least this time of year), with the exception of Thursday night, when a cover charge of $10 admitted you to an "open bar" from 8PM to midnight. This attracted a larger crowd than the other nights... mostly locals.

Also convenient was the local bus service that ran along the street the hotel is on. For about $1.20, you can take the very frequent bus into Quepos or to Manuel Antonio Park and the beaches.

An unexpected convenience was the inexpensive laundry service provided by the hotel. We had them launder our clothes twice during our stay, and went home with almost everything clean! The charge was so minimal that next time, I'll just pack enough for 2 days, have them do the laundry a few times, and lighten the luggage!

The only criticisms I could think of were that the stairs going between the pool, whirlpool, rooms and office are steep and can be slippery when they're wet. The rooms (at least the one we had) also had tile floors throughout, which were spotless, but also slippery. Also, some evenings the front office would close earlier than they were supposed to, so we would have to fend for ourselves if we had questions or wanted a taxi called.

The only other downside was that there are very few spots along the windy road where there are sidewalks and steeply sloping shoulders, so even though there was a market close by, walking anywhere was a little "iffy"... a cheap cab ride was much better.

5. Re: Hotel Villa Roca

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 06 October 2009, 10:49
Get answers to your questions about Manuel Antonio