We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Rental Car Co.

Indianapolis...
10 posts
Save Topic
Rental Car Co.

Hey Guys,

The wife and I are going to rent a car from San Jose and drive to Manuel Antonio. (7/26-8/2)

Did some research on here and basically learned to stay away from Advantage/Economy rental.

Has anyone recently rented a small 4x4 and recommend the company?

Also, what kind of rates did you have and did you get the insurance?

Thanks in advance!

So. Cal.
Level Contributor
111 posts
4 reviews
Save Reply
11. Re: Rental Car Co.

The other thing I forgot to mention is that Tricolor is off the airport - 5 minutes by shuttle. They will wait with a sign to pick you up. I think it's because they are not an international car rental agency and because they are off the aiport that they offer cheaper rates.

Indianapolis...
10 posts
Save Reply
12. Re: Rental Car Co.

Can you drive from the SJO airport to Manuel Antonio on a full tank of gas?

Manuel Antonio...
Level Contributor
1,298 posts
2 reviews
Save Reply
13. Re: Rental Car Co.

If you rent a small SUV the cost of the drive is around $30 half of the tank. Bas is now around $1.20 a litter, too much. NATUREGUIDE

So. Cal.
Level Contributor
111 posts
4 reviews
Save Reply
14. Re: Rental Car Co.

Yes you can drive to MA on less than a tank of gas ($30 - full tank $60-70). Natureguide mentioned that he thought that was too much, but I liked having the flexibility of driving where ever I wanted. I did it at the end of June. I think I used about less than 1/2 tank. I refilled on the way back, because I was in MA for about 4 days and drove around a bit every day.

The drive took me about 3 1/2 hours including stops on the crocodile bridge, Jaco for lunch,etc., but can take much longer depending upon traffic. They are improving the roads and building 2 new bridges between Jaco and MA. The current bridges can only take one way traffic, thus you have to wait up to 20 mintues until the traffic crossing the bridge finishes.The new bridges will take traffic both way.

I used Tricolor twice and didn't have any problems. There was someone at the airport waiting for us with our names on a sign. They are off the airport 5 minutes at most and are not an international car rental agency, thus they are cheaper.

***Read the other postings about car rentals, as they offer other good companies and more importantly go into more detail about insurance issues/costs***

Manuel Antonio...
Level Contributor
1,298 posts
2 reviews
Save Reply
15. Re: Rental Car Co.

I think the having a rent a car is good. Costa Rica we paid to much money for gas and the prices are going up every month, this isnt good for anybody. Driving in Costa Rica is fun. NATUREGUIDE

16. Re: Rental Car Co.

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 02 October 2009, 04:49