We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Costa Rica

Toronto, Canada
Level Contributor
520 posts
47 reviews
Save Topic
Costa Rica

Where is preferable for a Mom and Daughter (age 22)

Liberia or San Jose area?

Also would love some Hotel recommendations?

Thanks!

San Jose, Costa Rica
Level Contributor
47,952 posts
35 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Costa Rica

If you like beaches and sun...Liberia can be the answer..

If you like a lot of people and cars...surrounded by mountains...San Jose...

Hard to reccomend a hotel...to many to mention...maybe with more precise information...budget ...location...

Luis Road Advisor

Just buckle up and enjoy the ride in paradise!!

St. Louis, MO
Level Contributor
216 posts
31 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Costa Rica

I can highly recommend the Marriott in San Jose. Really loved the hotel, but the city itself I don't think could sustain a whole vacation. Do you plan on staying in one place or venturing out to different areas. I wouldn't go to Costa Rica and stay only in the city.

I arrived in San Jose by myself. It was easy to get through customs and baggage claim. The man from the Marriott was standing right outside the exit with a big sign in the middle of the taxi driver chaos. I felt very safe arriving by myself. I would have been overwhelmed though if I had to get a taxi. It was nice having the Marriott shuttle.

Winnipeg, Canada
Destination Expert
for Costa Rica
Level Contributor
7,517 posts
30 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Costa Rica

Hi Karen,

You have posted this in the Manuel Antonio section of the CR forum.

I am just wondering if your question is actually which airport you should choose to fly into - LIR or SJO.

If so, it really depends on what you want to do and see on your vacation.

Liberia has good access to the Guanacaste beaches. If All inclusive happens to be what you want, this is the best bet. There are also lots of nice beaches.

If you want to visit the central pacific or the Central Valley or even the Caribbean coast, SJO is more convenient. In somewhere like Manuel Antonio, you get beach, rainforest, wildlife and general tourist infrastructure.

Another determining factor for some is price. If you get a super price to one over the other, you can build a great vacation from that one.

Get hold of a guidebook of CR. Sort of figure out what areas actually interest you. Once you know that, you can figure out which is more convenient. Also you can then come and ask for hotel recommendation - or better yet, read some of the many trip reports in the forums. Also, to give meaningful recommendations for hotels and I guess places to go to in general, people would need to know you budget and something about the things you want to do.

Good luck

Pura Vida,

raquel

Ramer, Alabama
Level Contributor
467 posts
3 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Costa Rica

I second the suggestion to get a guidebook. I use the Moon Costa Rica Handbook and it's loaded with info.

Costa Rica is so diverse and there is so much to see, couple that with the time it takes to travel around the country and you really need to zero in on 1 or 2 locations.

There is no way you can cover it all in one trip.

I've been there 3 times and have barely scratched the surface.

Toronto, Canada
Level Contributor
520 posts
47 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Costa Rica

I realized after that I had posted it in the wrong area..couldn't really find where I should have put it tho!

It's not for me I am asking...These ladies like sun and beach, relaxing, with maybe a trip here and there to do an adventure or see some sights?

Costa Rica
Level Contributor
219 posts
Save Reply
6. Re: Costa Rica

Then if that is the case, Liberia is the place to go. It is close to the northern Pacific beaches: Tamarindo(crowded, good for surfing), Flamingo, Brasilito... and also Playa Samara, Playa Ostional, Playa Grande, Playa Ocotal and Playa Hermosa last but not least, my fave in Guanacaste. Playa Hermosa has this relaxed laid-back atmosphere, it's rarely crowded outside of major holidays and within a 20 min drive from Liberia. Your friends could stay in Liberia which also has the convenient airport location or at one of these beach towns and then take trips to the city or do other activities like a visit to either Rincon de la Vieja National Park or Santa Rosa National Park.

Toronto, Canada
Level Contributor
520 posts
47 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Costa Rica

Much appreciate the help given here...many great ideas that she can think over!

Costa Rica sounds lovely..and diverse.

Toronto, Canada
Level Contributor
520 posts
47 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: Costa Rica

Much appreciate the help given here...many great ideas that she can think over!

Costa Rica sounds lovely..and diverse.

So. Cal.
Level Contributor
111 posts
4 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: Costa Rica

I recommend against going to San Jose. There isn't much to see and petty crime is a problem. The reason people go to CR is to see nature at it's best - volcanos & hot springs, beaches, rainforests & animals galour.

Have a wonderful trip.

Seoul, South Korea
Level Contributor
876 posts
12 reviews
Save Reply
10. Re: Costa Rica

I would not choose to stay in either location other than if it is necessary for a flight. you need to decide which beach area you want to go to in the country and then decide which city is closest to that beach to determine which city to fly into. Research about beach destinations. Do you want wildlife then look into Manuel Antonio. If you are more of a resort person then maybe the Guanacaste region.

Get answers to your questions about Manuel Antonio