We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

whale watching

gusmd
4 posts
Save Topic
whale watching

My wife and I will be staying in Manuel Antonio next February and were wondering if there is any place to go see some whales while we were there. I have found tours out of Drake bay (is it possible to get down there easily from Manuel Antonio?) but the tours I have seen in Manual Antonio maritime park seem to be more geared to dolphins instead of whales. Any suggestions?

New York City, New...
Level Contributor
41 posts
20 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: whale watching

I just came back from MA and we went on the Planet Dolphin tour. They said that they sometimes see whales as well, but as with any wildlife, you may never see anything. We saw a lot of dolphins but we didn't see any whales. I do recommend this tour though.

wgr
Vancouver, BC
Level Contributor
1,243 posts
109 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: whale watching

Inquire at Iguana Tours in Quepos. We were there in March and had the impression that we were just at the end or even past the end of whalewatching season. I suspect that in February you will be right in season.

Costa Rica
Level Contributor
219 posts
Save Reply
3. Re: whale watching

The pacific coast of Costa Rica is home to certain species of whales like the humpback whale which can be seen almost year round coming from the north and south hemispheres to have their babies and breed. You can see them in Manuel Antonio, but only once in a while as opposed to Drake Bay and Isla del Cano where they can be seen more often.

The best humpback whale watching season is coming up in late July and through November - (the whales coming from the southern hemisphere)

Just north of Playa Uvita, a little more than one hour south of Manuel Antonio is the Marino Ballena (Whale) National Park. In case you opt for a nearer location, agencies at downtown Uvita Beach offer these tours.

4. Re: whale watching

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 05 October 2009, 16:54