We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Today. Red Tide in Manuel Antonio.

Manuel Antonio...
Level Contributor
1,298 posts
2 reviews
Save Topic
Today. Red Tide in Manuel Antonio.

For those the are coming on the next few days to Manuel Antonio and are planning to be a lot of time on the beach. We just got the arrive of a big red tide to the coast today , because of this snorkeling is very bad and dolphines are imposible to be see.

Any of the coastline tours arent very good, if you can change your plans for a diferent tour you will make a very good decision. If you want to be at the beach the water is going to have a very strong fish smell. Red tide isnt dangerous for humans and most restaurant have their fish supply form other places of the country and from offshore.

Inshore fishing trips arent good, but the offshore is perfect and catching a lot of fish. NATUREGUIDE

Manuel's Tours
Eco Tours, Night Tours, Sightseeing Tours, Private Tours, Nature & Wildlife Tours
Pura Vida Tours & Transfers
Sightseeing Tours, Taxis & Shuttles, Eco Tours, Nature & Wildlife Tours, Photography Tours
Minneapolis, MN
Level Contributor
7 posts
1 review
Save Reply
1. Re: Today. Red Tide in Manuel Antonio.

How long does this red tide usually last? My family is coming to MA on June 1st and we are planning on spending a lot of time at the beach.

Minneapolis, MN
Level Contributor
7 posts
1 review
Save Reply
2. Re: Today. Red Tide in Manuel Antonio.

Sorry...I mean June 30.

Manuel Antonio...
Level Contributor
1,298 posts
2 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Today. Red Tide in Manuel Antonio.

Every year is diferent, it can be here for only 2 weeks or over a month. For your trip, you will see it, isnt going to be out in 10 days. NATUREGUIDE

St. Louis, MO
Level Contributor
216 posts
31 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Today. Red Tide in Manuel Antonio.

Well I am majorly bummed. I arrive on Friday. I wanted to stay in Arenal, but DH wanted a beach vacation so we chose MA. Even chose our hotel due to the proximity to the beach. Is it everywhere on the coast or just certain beaches?

Manuel Antonio...
Level Contributor
1,298 posts
2 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Today. Red Tide in Manuel Antonio.

The red tide is affecting the coastline tours, dolphines arent in the coast and the snorkeling is very bad. Swimming isnt soo bad, is just not the green/blue water, it hads a little brown color the smell is very strong as other year. Red tide in Costa Rica isnt like in Florida, here is light.

Just dont take any of the coast cruise tours.NATUREGUIDE

ny,ny
Level Contributor
37 posts
2 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Today. Red Tide in Manuel Antonio.

Now I'm confused. I was about to book Manuel Antonio for 6/30 and 7/1(second half of trip) because of the beach area...The park is closed on Mondays (6/30) and it does not sound like the beach will be inviting. We don't fish. Is it worth still going to Manuel Antonio or should we just go to a beach up north?

Manuel Antonio...
Level Contributor
1,298 posts
2 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Today. Red Tide in Manuel Antonio.

The National park it is closed on Mondays. The public beach is Ok and swimming isnt very bad with the red tide. The problem are the coastline tours.

You can swim during low tide, this is when the red tide is about 100 meters of the beach and in high tide is on the beach. Plan your trip, with red tide you will still love Manuel Antonio. NATUREGUIDE

St. Louis, MO
Level Contributor
216 posts
31 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: Today. Red Tide in Manuel Antonio.

Well I'm confused. So in low tide, the algae isn't up on the shore/beach? I don't think we were planning on any water tours. But I was hoping for some nice walks along the beach and also just sitting on the beach. Swimming a bit to cool off. So we'll still be able to enjoy the beaches some?

St. Louis, MO
Level Contributor
216 posts
31 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: Today. Red Tide in Manuel Antonio.

Sorry, somehow I missed that last reply which answered all the questions I just asked. LOL!!!

Philadelphia...
Level Contributor
92 posts
4 reviews
Save Reply
10. Re: Today. Red Tide in Manuel Antonio.

How long does the red tide usually last?

Will are arriving July 3rd, and booked a cat boat-snorkeling tour for July 9th.