We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Mal pais v Montezuma

London, United...
Level Contributor
3 posts
53 reviews
23 helpful votes
Mal pais v Montezuma

Planning a trip next month. We will fly into San Jose and drive a hired 4wd down to nicoya. We want to stay somewhere quiet with good wildlife. Which would people recommend out of Mal pais or Montezuma?

Any advice appreciated.

Freedom Riding SUP
Surfing, Windsurfing & Kitesurfing
Canopy del Pacifico Mal Pais
Zipline & Aerial Adventure Parks
3 replies to this topic
Playa Guiones...
Destination Expert
for Nosara
Level Contributor
2,705 posts
6 reviews
2 helpful votes
1. Re: Mal pais v Montezuma

For what you're looking for, go no further than Montezuma.

Grants Pass Or.
Level Contributor
469 posts
3 reviews
3 helpful votes
2. Re: Mal pais v Montezuma

I have to agree with Allylam and besides Mal Pais is about 1/2 hr. drive from Montrezuma. Check out Cabo Blanko Nature Reserve.

Santa Teresa, Costa...
Destination Expert
for Mal Pais, Santa Teresa
Level Contributor
1,938 posts
62 reviews
12 helpful votes
3. Re: Mal pais v Montezuma

Do you want to stay near the beach or off the beach?

If you stay in a place a bit more remote, you will have your fill of wildlife and birds (I suggest Star Mountain in Mal Pais). If you stay in Montezuma, you will see some wildlife, (animal, bird and human). It will not be peaceful.

With Montezuma, you will have to find accommodation out of the main core of town, either toward Cabuya and Cabo Blanco Reserve, or up the hill (and all of the roads out of town are really up steep hills).

In Mal Pais, you don't have to venture far to have peace and quiet because the closest main center of activity is at Playa Carmen in Santa Teresa.

You can look here for accommodations and maps: www.nicoyapeninsula.com

Montezuma is more compact. Mal Pais/Santa Teresa offers more diversity in restaurants and accommodation.

Whatever you are looking for, each destination can provide. You just have to do your research and decide. I can tell you where I would choose, but it may not be to your liking.

Reply to: Mal pais v Montezuma
Get notified by e-mail when a reply is posted
Get answers to your questions about Mal Pais
Recent Conversations