We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Playa Zancudo?

San Francisco...
Level Contributor
5,587 posts
168 reviews
Save Topic
Playa Zancudo?

The wife and I are taking our 4th trip to Costa Rica during the first two weeks of December. We're renting a 4x4 in Alajuela and plan on driving to Puerto Jimenez and staying there for 3-4 nights. From there we want to go to Zancudo and spend some time hanging out on the beach during the day and a cool bar at night.

We're thinking of staying at Los Cocos or Sol y Mar - any feedback on these places or other recomendations? Our budget is around $60/night

Tropical Escapade
Walking Tours, Nature & Wildlife Tours, City Tours
Golfito Monkey Tours
Boat Tours, Dolphin & Whale Watching, Nature & Wildlife Tours, Zipline & Aerial Adventure Parks
Mission Viejo...
Level Contributor
55 posts
Save Reply
1. Re: Playa Zancudo?

Hi Sean, My wife and I haven't been over to Zancudo but we met the owners of Los Cocos--Susan and Andrew--while on a canopy tour at Baru Reserve (just south of Dominical) 2 years ago (they were on vacation, too!). They're great people, and if we ever get to the Zancudo area we'll be sure to stay with them. They seemed knowledgeable about the flora and fauna, and were traveling with the owners of Casa Orquideas (Ron and Trudy) who really know their stuff!

So...without direct experience, I'd highly recommend Los Cocos, based on the people. That's what it usually comes down to...

We went through PJ last summer on our way down to Lapa Rios. Good choice for a destination...enjoy the drive!!

Oh, and we're headed to Cahuita, then Manzanillo, in a week. Thanks for your travel log--it's really helped with some of the planning.

Wpg. MB
Level Contributor
1 post
7 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Playa Zancudo?

My wife and I were in Zancudo in March and stayed at the "Teak House," which is managed by Susan and Andrew. The place was great; quiet and very private but a little more expensive at $75 per night. The place is right beside Cabinas Los Cocos, but we did not see inside the Los Cocos cabins. Sol Y Mar is just down the street and has a nice little bar/restaurant that is a popular hang-out among the long term guests. The food is good, but there's many other little bars and sodas along "the strip" that are also good. We never saw the cabins at Sol Y Mar but they have a lot of repeat business. I think they're probably a little more rustic than the Teak House.

We spent three days and had a great time; we had the three mile long beach to ourselves virtually every day. The waves a long a low, so it's a great spot for wading, and the beach is huge. You can go "Lord of the Flies" in Zancudo.

I would recommend a visit to Santuario Silvestre Wildlife Sanctuary, that can be booked with Susan or Andrew. It's a fascinating place and totally worth the cost. All in all, we liked Playa Zancudo for it's peace and solitude and would recommend it to anyone looking to get away from it all.

Bermuda
Destination Expert
for Bermuda
Level Contributor
3,498 posts
28 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Playa Zancudo?

we stayed at sol y mar for a week in april, i think the cost was $35 per night. good food and a very friendly bar scene. the room was clean and basic with a veranda that you can look over the gulf from. i can't wait to get back to zancudo.we're gonna go to panama from zancudo via bus/taxi which sounds like a worthwhile adventure to get a panama stamp in the passport and cheap goods at the border.

have fun

Southern Colorado
Level Contributor
1 post
15 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Playa Zancudo?

Hi Sean,

We have been to Zancudo several times, and have rented a beach house for the last part of January 09 thru mid February. Susan and Andrew [England, I believe] are fixtures there and will be most helpful to you. Susan manages several properties, so think about renting a house if you're going to be there a week or more. Take a trip up the Rio Coto with them for excellent birdwatching. I've never stayed at either place, but Zancudo itself is a really good time. The Italian restaurant is worth checking out.

Mike

5. Re: Playa Zancudo?

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 08 October 2009, 15:54
Get answers to your questions about Golfito