We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

scheduling tours - advance scheduling necessary?

Arizona
Level Contributor
469 posts
18 reviews
Save Topic
scheduling tours - advance scheduling necessary?

I normally spend a LOT of time researching tours/activities and scheduling them before a trip. We leave mid-July for 5 nights in Samasati and so far I've only scheduled a rafting trip on the final day which will get me back to San Jose. I'm toying with the idea of skipping the hassle now and being spontaneous for a change! BUT... is it likely that tours I decide I'd like to do will be full?

Puerto Viejo de...
Destination Expert
for Puerto Viejo de Talamanca
Level Contributor
2,267 posts
9 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: scheduling tours - advance scheduling necessary?

There is no need to book in advance, even better not since you can then decide according to the weather and how you feel. There are several places in Puerto to book activities and Samasati can most likely help as well. Have a great time!

Slovenia
Destination Expert
for Costa Rica
Level Contributor
15,768 posts
60 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: scheduling tours - advance scheduling necessary?

Probably not. And usually it is always place for one more person on majority of tours.

Chicago, Illinois
Destination Expert
for Costa Rica
Level Contributor
9,636 posts
23 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: scheduling tours - advance scheduling necessary?

I agree you should wait unitl you're there. With 5 nights you can always switch around what day you do what if by some chance any of your proposed activities are booked up for that day.

Strongly urge you to allocate a day at the beach in either Punta Uva or Manzanillo. Be sure to include a visit to the Jaguar Rescue Sanctuary (no jaguars but a lot of other amazing critters).

San Jose, Costa Rica
Level Contributor
46,813 posts
35 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: scheduling tours - advance scheduling necessary?

You really do not have to prepay or plan anything...mostly for weather ...you or nobody knows how the weather is going to be...better to wait until you are here!

roadadvisor

Puerto Viejo, Costa...
Destination Expert
Level Contributor
1,650 posts
50 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: scheduling tours - advance scheduling necessary?

No rafting company or transport will book anything for you without prepaying. But, yes, you can book most things "on the fly" with less then 24 hours notice.

La Fortuna de San...
Level Contributor
1,200 posts
7 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: scheduling tours - advance scheduling necessary?

You can do it either way at this time of the year. Personally I like the idea of being on vacation when I am on vacation. I don't like running from tour operator to tour operator to compare rates, listen to sales pitches and deal with money. For me, the process is a lot easier with a little time on the computer in the evening when I am not doing anything anyway. I also like reserving in advance to ensure I get the best companies. With that said, you can reserve when you get here if you like. It depends on how you want to spend time on your vacation.

Punta Uva, Costa...
Destination Expert
Level Contributor
6,874 posts
10 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: scheduling tours - advance scheduling necessary?

Best to wait, go with the flow.

8. Re: scheduling tours - advance scheduling necessary?

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 05 July 2013, 14:46
Get answers to your questions about Puerto Viejo de...