We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

How to get to Puerto Viejo from San Jose airport at night?

1 post
Save Topic
How to get to Puerto Viejo from San Jose airport at night?

My friends and I are going to Puerto Viejo and our flight arrival time is 9pm.

I looked it up and I saw that most people take the shuttle bus to get to Puerto Viejo from San Jose, but the bus stops running in the afternoon, so that wouldn't work for us.

I was wondering if any of you guys know an easy and not too expensive way to get to PV around 9PM on Saturday?

I would really appreciate it if you can provide me with detailed info!

Thank you again!

Ontario, Canada
Level Contributor
7,405 posts
66 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: How to get to Puerto Viejo from San Jose airport at night?

I do not think it could be inexpensive at that time! It is a long drive. If your flight arrives at 9 pm, depending on different factors at the airport, you might not be out of SJO for quite awhile. It will be dark after 5:30-6 pm anyway. The afternoon shuttle will be long gone anyway - I think Interbus leaves at 2 pm and they do not pick up right from the airport anyway, but from the lot by Denny's restaurant, to which you might need to take a short taxi ride first.

You might need to stay at a hotel by the airport for the first night.

For transportation options to PV see https:/… especially the section about Mepe (public buses) here - https:/…bus-to-puerto-viejo.php , which shows that you might be able to reserve seats over the phone.

We only took those local buses for shorter trips between the points in S. Caribbean, so you will need to research more which would be a good budget hotel to stay at for that first night, which would make it closer to the correct terminal in San Jose to take a public bus to PV from. If you decide to prebook / prepay Interbus or Caribeshuttle (morning trip), they can pick you up from the hotel and deliver you to your hotel in PV. The shuttle bus might cost about $50 pp one way. Just to give you an idea- a shared shuttle Interbus from Cahuita, which is not far from PV, to a hotel near the SJO airport took us almost 6 hrs. A private car with a local driver from SJO airport to Manzanillo (more S. than Puerto Viejo) had been quoted as $260, $240 or $200 by 3 companies - for 2 ppl, one way.

This article mentions some hotels near the airport - www.twoweeksincostarica.com/hotels-near-sjo/ . We stayed at the 2 no one there, which is a good place if heading toward S. Caribbean.

Edited: 01 February 2017, 09:30
Chicago, Illinois
Destination Expert
for Costa Rica
Level Contributor
10,319 posts
23 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: How to get to Puerto Viejo from San Jose airport at night?

There is no easy or inexpensive way to make this 5 hour+ trip at night. Find an inexpensive hostel in Alajuela or San Jose and catch the public bus at Terminal Atlantico Norte in San Jose 1st thing the next morning. See more info at https:/…bus-to-puerto-viejo.php

Edited: 01 February 2017, 10:07
Puerto Viejo de...
Level Contributor
4 posts
28 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: How to get to Puerto Viejo from San Jose airport at night?

Absolutely not! No public transportation at night. Not safe. Big mountains in the way with chance of sudden storms. Private taxi starts at two hundred dollars.

Our community is here to help!Ask questions, get advice and more from travellers like you.
Join TripAdvisor
Puerto Viejo, Costa...
Destination Expert
for Puerto Viejo de Talamanca
Level Contributor
1,655 posts
50 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: How to get to Puerto Viejo from San Jose airport at night?

I drive at night all the time now. Yes, driving at night has more risks, but over the years, the roads have really improved and for me driving at night has an acceptable risk for my tolerance level. For a seasoned driver who has some experience driving in foreign countries, I would say it is fine.

5. Re: How to get to Puerto Viejo from San Jose airport at night?

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 03 February 2018, 11:45