We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

crime around cahuita

Clarkston, Michigan
Level Contributor
1 post
65 reviews
crime around cahuita

We are staying in a lodge about 3 miles from the beach. Wondering how safe the area is: The beach and the cities?

Also, what about being on the beach if we are the only girls around?

We know to use good judgement. Just not sure how much judgement we need to use. lol

Thanks in advance!

deb

4 replies to this topic
Ontario, Canada
Level Contributor
9,969 posts
70 reviews
1. Re: crime around cahuita

We stayed in Cahuita twice, we enjoyed it. Do not go to the beaches at night, after dark.

We walked between our accommodations, Main Street, restaurant/stores in Cahuita at night, when there were ppl around, dinner time, but anything further - call a taxi. We tried not to have any valuables with us, one cheap watch, no jewellery, no phone, minimum cash, if any, and no daybag, if possible. Take turns swimming, do not leave anything on the beach unattended. Lock the bikes if you rent them. Do not put purses on the back of the chairs when going out to eat. We stayed in 2 properties close to the park. One did not have a safe. We had known about it, but when we arrived there, we felt uneasy, did not like the inn, so got out, went to a place a few min away, still walking distance, with built in safes. Many hotels and homes there have big (guard) dogs there, not just in that area of CR. Some let them run around between the houses, common areas, etc. - during the days and/or only at night. Inquire from your hotel owner(s) if that might be a problem for you.

BTW, Cahuita is not a city, it is a small town, very small. Puerto Viejo is bigger.

Charlotte, Michigan
Level Contributor
2 posts
73 reviews
2. Re: crime around cahuita

We have been going there for many years. It is quite safe there. The only admonition I have is don't walk around the beaches at night. The town is fine as long as there are other people around after dark. Of course follow common sense safety as you would in the USA or Canada; such as locking bikes and not leaving purses laying around. The locals there are nice friendly folks!

Paris, Canada
Level Contributor
7,925 posts
20 reviews
3. Re: crime around cahuita

Be careful at night for sure. Which lodge? Which beach? Is the lodge also far from the town and the National Park? Ask the lodge about safety. Ask them if the closest beach is deserted or will have people during the day.

Edited: 27 February 2018, 01:34
London, United...
2 posts
2 reviews
4. Re: crime around cahuita

I just got back from Cahuita and am a woman travelling alone. I never felt unsafe although I would always use common sense...

Reply to: crime around cahuita
Get notified by e-mail when a reply is posted