We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Snorkeling in July

3 posts
Save Topic
Snorkeling in July

Hello,

My boyfriend and I are heading to Playa Cocles for a week in July; we are trying to decide between booking the Jaguar Rescue Centre/Chocolate Lady/Waterfall tour and the Cahuita Boat ride, snorkel and hike trip.

I was just wondering if the wet season would make it pointless to go snorkeling? Are you able to hike the Cahuita National Park without a guide?

We are also going to be spending a day at Punta Uva and I was wondering if anyone could tell me about the hiking trails there and if they are do-able without a guide?

Thanks!!

Mentioned in this post
Cahuita
Cahuita
Province of Limon, Costa Rica
Cahuita National Park
Cahuita National Park
2,380 Reviews
Cahuita, Costa Rica
Puerto Viejo de...
Destination Expert
for Puerto Viejo de Talamanca
Level Contributor
2,361 posts
9 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Snorkeling in July

You posted in the Cahuita forum but Cocles is part of Puerto Viejo. There is no need to decide until you are here, any of these activities is easily organised once here. Cahuita National park you can do yourself, it is an easy trail. Cocles and Punta Uva have no jungle trails but you could do the Gandoca/Manzanillo Refuge but would advise strongly to use a guide if you want to go there, some incidents have been reported.

Mentioned in this post
Cahuita
Cahuita
Puerto Viejo de Talamanca
Puerto Viejo de Talamanca
Cahuita National Park
Cahuita National Park
2,380 Reviews
Cahuita, Costa Rica
Ontario, Canada
Level Contributor
8,815 posts
65 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Snorkeling in July

See my review of the Cahuita NP - https://www.tripadvisor.ca/ShowUserReviews-g… . It will answer your guide Qns, etc.

We stayed for 2 wks in S. Caribbean, incl. a week in Cahuita, in 2 different hotels, and we travelled with our snorkelling gear. In all that time, the equipment did not leave my luggage. The waves were too big, incl. at the main Cahuita park's beach, closer to the town entrance. Farther into the park, we swam from some tiny beaches, but the water was so murky - we could not see our own hands under water, so we figured there was no point in buying a snorkelling off the boat tour. That tour is advertised everywhere for US $35 pp, but our hotel owner was offering to arrange it for $25 pp.

For hiking, no guide is needed.

Keep in mind that the Jaguar Rescue Centre already provides you a public tour with your regular admission ticket. They have 2 morning tours, 9:30 and 11:30 am, 6 days x wk, we arrived at about 11, waited by the gates, and at about 11:15, they started letting ppl in to go to the counter and pay US $20 pp for the public tour. Very easy, no prebooking.

Edited: 05 May 2017, 05:09
Mentioned in this post
Cahuita
Cahuita
Caribbean
Caribbean
North America
San Jose, Costa Rica
Level Contributor
49,981 posts
35 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Snorkeling in July

Thank you Gecko es Lodge you are the best…and provide as always first hand advice…and most of the time in real time…keep going …

roadadvisor

Paris, Canada
Level Contributor
7,029 posts
20 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Snorkeling in July

You can easily visit Cahuita on your own. Take an early bus to Cahuita and walk the trail in the National Park and go swimming. No guide needed for hiking. Only if you want to go snorkeling.

You can also visit the Jaguar Rescue Center on your own.

For the Bri Bri chocolate making and waterfall you can book a tour.

Punta Uva has a nice beach. For hiking in the wildlife refuge you have to go to Manzanillo, 5 km from Punta Uva, at the end of the road. If you don't go far you can go on your own but if you are interested in a long hike it may be better to go with a guide. Abel Bustamante gets great reviews:

https:/…365529370216655

And there is also Omar Cook:

…blogspot.ca/p/omars-jungle-tour.html

Mentioned in this post
Cahuita
Cahuita
Cahuita, Costa Rica
Level Contributor
168 posts
28 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Snorkeling in July

Snorkeling in Cahuita is a standard rate of $25 p/p unless you are booking something private. Usually snorkeling and a hike with a guide would be $40, but as was said in previous posts you can do the hike on your own.

The tours usually leave at 9am everyday(weather permitting) and as GeckoesLodge advised best just to wait until you get here to see how the weather is on the day you want to go.

Mentioned in this post
Cahuita
Cahuita
Cahuita, Costa Rica
Level Contributor
53 posts
15 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Snorkeling in July

I see that you have some good replies. The only things that I would add is that the snorkeling depends on the weather. July isn't exactly rainy season but weather can be unsettled.You can often get some good days in July to snorkel it just depends. Hiking the national park is definately recommended. If you start from the main entrance and go to Puerto Vargas there is a new boardwalk through the jungle for the last mile and a half that is really nice. You can get lunch at Boca Chica resteraunt and take the bus or a taxi back to Cahuita. While you can hike the park without a guide you will probably see a lot more wildlifee if you use one.

Mentioned in this post
Cahuita
Cahuita
7. Re: Snorkeling in July

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 31 May 2018, 11:48