We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Anyone rented a car from U-Save at Liberia airport?

San Francisco, CA
Level Contributor
15 posts
Save Topic
Anyone rented a car from U-Save at Liberia airport?

I'm coming down in April and looking to reserve a car for the month. U-Save has by far the best rates, but I've never even heard of them. Has anyone had any experience with them, good or bad?

San Jose, Costa Rica
Level Contributor
45,948 posts
30 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Anyone rented a car from U-Save at Liberia airport?

Dear badlydrwnboy

Is better in Costa Rica to dealt with the big guys, TOYOTA...BUDGET...ALAMO..HERTZ...AVIS..DOLLAR...NATIONAL...and ADOBE that is a nice local company..

Mom and Pop rent a cars are not good news most of the time...at the end is like they said in your country...you will get what you pay for!

roadadvisor

San Jose, Costa Rica
Level Contributor
3,528 posts
Save Reply
2. Re: Anyone rented a car from U-Save at Liberia airport?

Make sure they include the mandatory daily insurance in the rates to avoid surprises when picking up the car

San Jose, Costa Rica
Level Contributor
45,948 posts
30 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Anyone rented a car from U-Save at Liberia airport?

Dear badlydrwnboy

Be sure to check every dent , every little crack or scratch at al windows, tires condition, spare, carpets conditions, seats, tools....etc

Always dealt with companies that are certified by ICT the Costa Rica tourism board...or individuals recommending places...who recommend them???

roadadvisor

Tamarindo
Level Contributor
533 posts
21 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Anyone rented a car from U-Save at Liberia airport?

Oh god, now road advisor is recommending to check for ICT membership from rental car companies. Give it up man.

Anyway, back to reality. Since you posted in the Tamarindo forum, I assume you're spending much of your month here. If so, I would recommend using a company that has an office in Tamarido, which U Save does not. You should look into Thrifty, Alamo and Budget. Avoid Economy and Mapache. Beware that some companies, including Thrifty, confirm a certain price online but then surprise you with a higher rate when you arrive for insurance and other crap. Be sure to find out exactly how much the total cost is before giving your credit card.

Costa Rica
Level Contributor
25,655 posts
25 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Anyone rented a car from U-Save at Liberia airport?

I would stay far away from Thrifty. There have been some horror stories.

I don't think that making sure a rental car company is registered with ICT is a bad or stupid thing to do. There are a number of "Joe and Moe" rental companies that probably would not be registered with ICT.

Since Tamarindo is only about an hour from the Liberia airport, I really can't see the advantage of dealing with a rental car company in Tamarindo. It wouldn't be that hard to go to Liberia or just call.

There is a mandatory liability insurance that you will have to pay so make sure that is included with whatever quote you get. You could use your credit card to cover part of the necessary insurance but not this mandatory liability coverage.

I would recommend Service and Solid also as good rental agencies as well as Dollar.

San Jose, Costa Rica
Level Contributor
45,948 posts
30 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Anyone rented a car from U-Save at Liberia airport?

Many scammers around...better to let people know that ICT is here to help them...give it up man is a great free country...and we natives love it!

roadadvisor

Atlanta, Georgia
Level Contributor
1 post
47 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Anyone rented a car from U-Save at Liberia airport?

My reservation was for 4 days and $166 but when we arrived to pick up the truck we were told we had to buy mandatory insurance at $20 per day. This seemed like a "Bait and Switch" tactic. If the insurance was mandatory...it should have been "included" in the reservation quote. Our truck had almost 100,000 Km on it and was "well used". We weren't very impressed. I work for Delta Air Lines and I don't know if I would use U-Save again or could recommend to a friend or coworker.

Chicago, Illinois
Level Contributor
633 posts
133 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: Anyone rented a car from U-Save at Liberia airport?

Thats how they get you, these no name and mom pop places advertise low prices and then you get there and you have to also include the fees, you get what you pay for. I agree, stick with the big boys, but I also like Mapache.

As far as the mileage on the vehicle, this is a developing country, its not USA, cars here not perfect, nor is anything else, you dont like it, go to EU.

100K KM is only 55K miles, for a Asian make thats nothing, for an American car, its dead...haha

Tamarindo, Costa...
Level Contributor
63 posts
87 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: Anyone rented a car from U-Save at Liberia airport?

As far as I can tell, the rates shown for most online car rentals do not include the mandatory liability insurance coverage, which seems to be going for about $15 to $20/day in recent rentals. They only quote the "rental car rate" not the added insurance rate!

I've rented from Economy in Liberia and haven't had any problems except long lines at the rental counter for my last rental. Also have rented from Dollar in Liberia and have rented cars in Nicaragua. But I've always rented knowing that the insurance costs would be added to the advertised base rental rate. Unless insurance is explicitly shown to be included, assume that it is not included - and assume that the added insurance will be a large part of the rental costs!

Does anyone know if the costs of mandatory insurance is "governed" to prevent price gouging on the insurance after quoting a low rental rate?

Dunwoody, Georgia
Level Contributor
163 posts
7 reviews
Save Reply
10. Re: Anyone rented a car from U-Save at Liberia airport?

We rented from Vamos. They are straight when getting a quote for reservation, include the mandatory insurance and website is very informative. They gave us a free GPS for 'like' them on facebook, also gave us an ice chest to use as well as a cell phone for emergency, never used. The vehicle was a Mitsubishi Montero GLS 4x4, large and in great condition, about 70K miles were on it. The windows had a nice dark tint; sort of hid our belongings and helped keep the vehicle cool, or shall I say, less hot. The vehicle even had new tires on it. Great job!

Get answers to your questions about Tamarindo