We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

August Which is best beach for Sun?

Lebanon...
2 posts
Save Topic
August Which is best beach for Sun?

Which area is better to travel to in the first week of August Samara or Monte verde? I am concerned that we really won't get much beach time in August (2nd-13). Thanks.

Mentioned in this post
Samara Beach
Samara Beach
1,348 Reviews
Playa Samara, Costa Rica
7 replies to this topic
Chicago, Illinois
Destination Expert
for Costa Rica
Level Contributor
10,795 posts
23 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: August Which is best beach for Sun?

Well there will likely be far more sun on Samara's beach than around Monteverde's cloudforest which are often overcast and drizzly year round. By comparison, the beaches on the northern half of the Pacific coast receive far less rain and, even though August is rainy season, that doesn't mean it will rain every day.

Lebanon...
2 posts
Save Reply
2. Re: August Which is best beach for Sun?

Thank you for your help.

I was debating between going to Manuel Antonio or Playa Samara But I think Ill look at Playa Samara or further North. We are starting in SanJose and then gong to Arenal. I'll still go to Monte Verde for forests but my kids want to go to a beach for a few days. Our friends hired drivers to get them to each lace but I am still thinking about renting a car so we can get around and explore better.

Mentioned in this post
Manuel Antonio
Manuel Antonio
Province of Puntarenas, Costa Rica
Playa Samara
Playa Samara
Province of Guanacaste, Costa Rica
Atlanta, Georgia
Level Contributor
3,970 posts
26 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: August Which is best beach for Sun?

I'm a "car guy".... convenient and not at the mercy of schedules. A private driver might work for your situation, but cost?

Cost for rental? Hyundai Tucson 2WD ... about $60 a day..

Remember 6;00 to 6:00 is daylight in CR year round.

Have a great trip

Bar Harbor, Maine
Level Contributor
62 posts
64 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: August Which is best beach for Sun?

By all means, go to Playa Samara. The beach is much better for swimming than many of the surfer beaches further north. The town is the perfect size, with enough places to eat and shops and stuff without feeling like a city. Carrillo Beach next to Samara is also worth a visit if you want a quieter, more pristine beach

Mentioned in this post
Playa Samara
Playa Samara
Samara Beach
Samara Beach
1,348 Reviews
Playa Samara, Costa Rica
Tampa, Florida
Level Contributor
3,189 posts
51 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: August Which is best beach for Sun?

You can also look into Playa Hermosa. Don't let anyone dissuade you from Monteverde. The cloud forest is just as good in rain. In fact, the dense canopy will shield you from being pelted.

In August you may not get to see the volcano within just a few days and you may only have a few rain-free hours at the beach. If you can stay at least three full days near Arenal and the beach your chances are improved.

A lot depends on how long you can stay in each area. Your flight times may force you to spend a night or two near the airport. You don't say which one you're flying into. The beach locations depend upon which one.

Mentioned in this post
Monteverde
Monteverde
Grecia, Costa Rica
Destination Expert
for Province of Alajuela
Level Contributor
8,225 posts
43 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: August Which is best beach for Sun?

Playa Samara is a good one, the further North you go in Guanacaste the drier it will get in general.

Mentioned in this post
Playa Samara
Playa Samara
Brooklyn, New York
Destination Expert
for Sarapiqui
Level Contributor
7,003 posts
149 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: August Which is best beach for Sun?

Your kids have good instincts--after getting rained on every day in Arenal and Monteverde and very possibly not seeing the sun the entire time, your entire family will likely be craving warmth and sunlight. I get that part of the cloud forest is the misty nature of it, but quite frankly going 4-6 days during a vacation without seeing the sun can be absolutely miserable.

"Oh yay, it's cloudy and rainy" said no one ever in the morning.

The Pacific coast gets some rain during that time period as well, but it tends to come in the form of thunderstorms that blow over and you will get at least a few hours--general in the morning--of sunshine.

Edited: 26 March 2018, 23:04
Mentioned in this post
Arenal Lodge
Arenal Lodge
925 Reviews
La Fortuna de San Carlos, Costa Rica
Monteverde
Monteverde
Reply to: August Which is best beach for Sun?
Get notified by e-mail when a reply is posted