We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Living in Samara for a month with kids

Carver, Minnesota
1 post
Save Topic
Living in Samara for a month with kids

My wife and 4 kids (ages 12/9/8/8) are planning two months in Costa Rica this summer (mid June -mid Aug). We'd like to spend the first month in Samara.

I plan to enroll the kids in a language program for some of the time. Other than that, no real plans. We're land-locked Minnesotans so just looking to experience the people, the country, and spend some time at the beech.

What I'm trying to get a sense of is the normal non-tourist life in the town. i.e. Are there local kids around playing pick-up soccer games? Are there any other activities that we can do to immerse ourselves in the culture, and not just the excursions? Is there a certain part of town I should look to stay in or avoid?

Any other suggestions are most welcome.

Mentioned in this post
Costa Rica
Costa Rica
Central America
Samara Beach
Samara Beach
1,331 Reviews
Playa Samara, Costa Rica
Small-Group Ocean Kayak and...
from US$ 45.00*
Free Cancellation
Ocean Seafari Tour in Samara
8 Reviews
from US$ 60.00*
Free Cancellation
Samara Beach Stand Up Paddle and...
1 Review
from US$ 60.00*
Free Cancellation
12 replies to this topic
Samara
Level Contributor
946 posts
124 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Living in Samara for a month with kids

Samara is a great family destination specially with kids that age. Being part of the school will open up opportunities for activites for kids to meet other kids and for adults to make friends as well. June to August is a 2nd high season for the town so there will be different activities in town going on. Hope this helps:)

Have Fun…Brenda Dragonne, Owner and Founder of the Info Center in Samara & Carrillo

Mentioned in this post
Samara Beach
Samara Beach
1,331 Reviews
Playa Samara, Costa Rica
Level Contributor
13 posts
16 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Living in Samara for a month with kids

Love it there just returned from 5 weeks in Carrillo going back again next year for another 5 weeks we have gone to Costa Rica for the last three years, also from Minnesota up on the North Shore. Any questions I will try to help. Do the Gyrocopter 1 hour tour if you can swing it. I did and saw more wildlife in one hour than a month on the ground, knock out !!

Mentioned in this post
Costa Rica
Costa Rica
Central America
Level Contributor
328 posts
37 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Living in Samara for a month with kids

Samra is still one the places in Pacific Coast where the kids and can feel the freedom of this country and also the parents feel the same.

Many things to do, and just be carefull once the learn the peace of the country the won´t get back to the USA (just kidding).

Enjoy vacations with the family.

RideOnTrailsCr

Mentioned in this post
United States
United States
North America
Knowlton, Canada
Level Contributor
975 posts
39 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Living in Samara for a month with kids

Sounds like a great plan for your family! My wife and I have been doing that with our daughters in Samara for four winters -- two or three months at a time -- and before that in the Montezuma area for a couple of winters. Samara is a friendly, walkable, compact town with lots going on, plus a great beach for kids -- lots of shade and smaller waves owing to the offshore reef.

Activities change from year to year, but there's a lot of classes and activities for kids, including martial arts (in the gym above Super Samara and at Samara Fit or Fight, next to Bar Arriba), dance (at Bouti-Café), horseback riding classes at Horse Jungle, beach volleyball in front of Gusto (including weekly free kids' classes and private classes available from Guillermo and Melissa, who work at the Colochos restaurant), soccer on the beach and at the soccer field, lots of yoga, surfing, Spanish classes at Intercultura School and various kids' activities at CREAR. Our kids also liked the Samara Trails trail hike. The kids might also like snorkeling by the reef at low tide, kayaking/SUP boarding around the bay or walking out at low tide to the reef (bring footwear because the rocks can be sharp).

You can check the calendar of the Samara Info Center for some of these activities and ask around when you get into town. There are activity flyers and posters posted around town -- e.g. at the entrance to the Super Samara, at the Bouti-Café, at the entrance to the Mareas School and maybe elsewhere. Have fun!

Edited: 14 March 2018, 23:43
Mentioned in this post
Samara Beach
Samara Beach
1,331 Reviews
Playa Samara, Costa Rica
Montezuma
Montezuma
Province of Puntarenas, Costa Rica
Samara Trails
Samara Trails
260 Reviews
Playa Samara, Costa Rica
Grecia, Costa Rica
Destination Expert
for Province of Alajuela
Level Contributor
8,197 posts
43 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Living in Samara for a month with kids

Samara is one of my favorite beach towns, always has been. The laid back vibe, not too built up at all, just the right amount of everything IMO. Pick Brenda's brain from the Samara Info Center, she knows her area well and will not steer you wrong.

Mentioned in this post
Samara Beach
Samara Beach
1,331 Reviews
Playa Samara, Costa Rica
San Jose, Costa Rica
Level Contributor
49,687 posts
35 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Living in Samara for a month with kids

Love Samara in the good old days was about 10 hours to there from San Jose...or flying from OCO or Pavas and landing at the beach...lovely family beach...

Nice for you guys to try to volinteer some time at Camaronal beacj...at the turtle proyect...

We have there what we call MEJENGAS...you can ask around and maybe the kids can meet some locals and play some soccer...that is fun..I used to do that all day long at the beach...

roadadvisor

Mentioned in this post
Samara Beach
Samara Beach
1,331 Reviews
Playa Samara, Costa Rica
San Jose
San Jose
San Jose Metro, Costa Rica
Silverthorne...
Level Contributor
664 posts
129 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Living in Samara for a month with kids

Excellent choice. Totally cultural, lovely people, the Spanish School is awesome. The town is perfect for a month!!

Portland, Oregon
Level Contributor
575 posts
1 review
Save Reply
8. Re: Living in Samara for a month with kids

Here's the website for the Samara Info Center

https://www.samarainfocenter.com/

Mentioned in this post
Samara Beach
Samara Beach
1,331 Reviews
Playa Samara, Costa Rica
London, United...
Level Contributor
178 posts
12 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: Living in Samara for a month with kids

Sorry for highjacking the thread, Dan q, about Carillo, is the beach safe for kids? And is the village more or less baed on accomodation and restaurants or is there a local community there too?

Portland, Oregon
Level Contributor
575 posts
1 review
Save Reply
10. Re: Living in Samara for a month with kids

I would also like to know about Dan Q’s stay in Carrillo. Anything and everything.

Reply to: Living in Samara for a month with kids
Get notified by e-mail when a reply is posted