We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

I went to Samara and I wish that I ......

White Salmon...
Level Contributor
40 posts
12 reviews
Save Topic
I went to Samara and I wish that I ......

Did you go to Samara and wish that you had done something or taken something with you? What is it?

We are traveling with several other families and we would like to make the MOST of it. We'd really appreicate your input.

Main concerns or ideas right now are

- How do we shade ourselves at the beach? Do we take a sun shade ? - https://originalsunshade.com/

- Do we Take our soft color with us? - http://www.polarbearcoolers.com/

- Do we take walkie talkies with us to communicate with the other families (no cell service, right?)

I'd love to hear from others that have been there and could provide some input.

29 replies to this topic
Nowhere
Destination Expert
for Playa Samara
Level Contributor
4,681 posts
102 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: I went to Samara and I wish that I ......

1.) The beach has lots of palm trees that provide ample shade.

2.) If you want to have cold beverages, why not? There are plenty of restaurants and little stores where you can purchase cold drinks and/or food, though.

3.) Again, if that's what you want. I don't know why you think there is no cell service? If you prefer to use cell phones, just buy a local SIM card and you're done.

Samara
Level Contributor
946 posts
133 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: I went to Samara and I wish that I ......

Bring sun block and bug spray from home. Here it is pretty pricey.

- How do we shade ourselves at the beach? Plenty of shade on the beach.

- Do we Take our soft color with us? It may be conveniant but not necessary. Here it os OK to drink on the beach, on the street, etc. If you are going to head to Carrillo Beach and spend the day, then a cooler is esential as there are no stores or shops near by. There are also golf cart rentals that rent out a cooler so you may save the space and hassle of bringing it with you when you can rent one for $5.

- Do we take walkie talkies with us to communicate with the other families? Cell service is good and wifi is pentiful. Whatsapp work great here.

Have Fun…Brenda Dragonne, Owner and Founder of the Info Center in Samara & Carrillo

San Jose, Costa Rica
Level Contributor
50,307 posts
35 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: I went to Samara and I wish that I ......

Do not forget some OFF …no many mosquitos but some mostly at sunset …a little spray and no mosquitoes .

Do not forget to include a tour to Camaroanal or OStional…to learn about sea turtles and even see them…amazing…really a mother nature gift.

roadadvisor

Playa Guiones...
Destination Expert
for Nosara
Level Contributor
2,535 posts
6 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: I went to Samara and I wish that I ......

I wish that I......had not packed so much! Everything you will need can be found in Samara. Bring you're own suntan Lotion and bug spray as it's expensive in Costa Rica.

Ontario, Canada
Level Contributor
9,174 posts
66 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: I went to Samara and I wish that I ......

Useful packing list for CR - https:/… .

White Salmon...
Level Contributor
40 posts
12 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: I went to Samara and I wish that I ......

Thanks for the advice on sunscreen and bug spray. I really appreciate it.

Fresno, California
Level Contributor
2,529 posts
106 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: I went to Samara and I wish that I ......

If you are going soon it's the dry season so you probably won't need bug spray but we always take it just in case. Lots of sunscreen as the sun is very strong, rash guards are great. I always bring my soft sided cooler but only for fishing. There are plenty of restaurants and even a soda on the beach that you can sit at in the shade all day just as long as you are buying lunch and a few drinks, they are not really that expensive and you can share a meal. Cell service worked fine in Samara but my wife has Tmobile so it's free but we try not to bring cell phones to the beach. When at the beach we try to only bring a hat, some sunscreen and maybe a couple of floaties that way we can go in the water and not worry about our stuff, I have a water wallet that I keep in my swimsuit pocket.

White Salmon...
Level Contributor
40 posts
12 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: I went to Samara and I wish that I ......

Craig - Thanks. yeah we are going 2nd week of Feb. We have ATT and the deal seems to be 10$ per day for 24hr period per device gets you unlimited calling and texting and 1g of data. I am just thinking about keeping the phone off and using walkie talkies to communicate with the rest of the crew. No need to spend 10$ to let someone know down at the beach that one of their kids is up from a nap, right? We are a group of 4 families so we can have people all over the place and stay in touch. That's what my thinking is on this walkie talkie vs cellphone thing.

Can't wait to get out of the Oregon fog.

Chico, California
Level Contributor
10 posts
40 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: I went to Samara and I wish that I ......

Hello, we just got home from Samara. There are lots of shade trees along the beach. We bring a soft cooler and pack it or use it as our additional carry-on for drinks. The town is very small and most of the restaurants have wifi. We use our wifi calling. If we need to find our friends or family we just went for a walk and found them right away. The mosquitoes are pretty bad once the sun goes down, so bring spray. Also bring sunblock. Both are pretty pricey to buy. Also bring extra sunglasses. Everytime I go, I loose a pair in the ocean thinking I can hold them jumping over the waves. Don't over pack! We were in our bathing suits most of the time, and then changed into very casual light weight clothing and flip-flops the whole time. There are several grocery stores in town so it is easy to grab a snack and drinks if you want to use your ice chest for the beach. Have an amazing time. Stop by or email the Samara Info Center if you have any questions or need to book anything, we have used them many times and they have always been helpful. I miss Samara already.

Chico, California
Level Contributor
10 posts
40 reviews
Save Reply
10. Re: I went to Samara and I wish that I ......

Never left!

Reply to: I went to Samara and I wish that I ......
Get notified by e-mail when a reply is posted
Get answers to your questions about Playa Samara