We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

colored sand

Port Orange, Florida
Level Contributor
122 posts
80 reviews
Save Topic
colored sand

I know I've read this info somewhere but can't remember where. Are there beaches in this area with different color sand? Like pink or black?

Costa Rica
Level Contributor
25,654 posts
25 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: colored sand

Beaches in what area?

In general, the beaches of Costa Rica are of volcanic origin so range in color from light tan to black. There are very few white sand beaches.

Port Orange, Florida
Level Contributor
122 posts
80 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: colored sand

Hi Hattie, near Playa Hermosa. I walked on a black sand beach in Hawaii. Its unusual for us and I'd like the younger people with us to see one. They're used to the lighter sand of Florida. Also thought I read something about pink sand somewhere.

Seattle, Washington
Destination Expert
for Seattle
Level Contributor
7,552 posts
8 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: colored sand

Pink sand would probably be coral in nature. Years ago I when visited Bermuda there was pink coral sand near the now long gone Loew's Bermuda Beach hotel.

I've not visited too many beaches in CR, but haven't yet found pink sand.

Edited: 07 July 2014, 09:27
Slovenia
Destination Expert
for Costa Rica
Level Contributor
15,947 posts
60 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: colored sand

Be aware that greyish/mixed sand in Costa Rica is not comparable to black sand in Hawaii.

Bermuda
Destination Expert
for Bermuda
Level Contributor
3,471 posts
28 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: colored sand

Yup, Bermuda is the home of pink sand beaches! Most of the beaches I've seen in cr are gray/dark gray or yellow brown. By far the best beach I've seen in cr is playa carillo, just outside of Samara on the west coast of the nicoya peninsula.

6. Re: colored sand

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 09 July 2015, 09:46