We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Reasonably priced eats?

Canada
Level Contributor
62 posts
26 reviews
Reasonably priced eats?

Hi there,

Was in Playa Hermosa last year and thought food out was pretty pricey compared to back home in Canada. Anywhere in town I may have missed that serves honest food at a good price? I enjoyed some great "meal of the day" options in Coco but didn't really find the same in Hermosa. I'm really not interested in paying more than I do here at home.

I enjoy cooking and will doing a fair bit while I'm there next week but just want some inexpensive options for the occasional lunch or dinner.

I had some good fish tacos down on the beach last year. Can't remember the name of the place though.

Cheers,

John

San Francisco...
Level Contributor
106 posts
1. Re: Reasonably priced eats?

If you buy USA or Canada type food it will be expensive as it has to be imported. If you stick with local fish, meat, pico de gallo, and fruit, it will be less expensive than in the north and be tastier and healthier. The restaurants in the beach resort towns will be more expensive than eating at a local soda. Same applies to beverages, the local soda and beer is going to be half the price of anything imported from the USA and part of this is a VAT applied by the government.

Fruit is an incredible bargain. You can get a pineapple for 20 cents compared to $3 in the states and it will be fresher and tastier. Same applies to mangos and papayas and many other locally grown fruits you can find year round.

Canada
Level Contributor
62 posts
26 reviews
2. Re: Reasonably priced eats?

Ok....so back now and we did ok. The best value was at locally owned sodas with some great food. We went to Nosara for a few days and as expected things we're a little cheaper. We stayed away from gringo owned places as much as possible as they seemed to not offer that much of a bargain.

The airport seems to have changed a little in a year from what I remember. You can now have the honour of buying an $8 muffin at the new cafe if you like being royally fleeced. Some little things like this and the proliferation of non locally owned businesses hiking prices beyond reasonable have made me realise that I think I'm done with Costa Rica for the time being. Panama has very much the same to offer as Costa Rica but it is all more accessible and way less touristy and there are still great bargains to be had.

The beaches near Nosara are gorgeous, but so are those in bocas del toro, the rainforests are beautiful in Monteverde and around arenal, but a $10 cab ride from the centre of Panama City takes you to accessible rainforest which follows the Panama Canal all the way to Colon.

Sorry for the diatribe but I thought it would be valuable for tourists like myself that choose destinations that offer the best value for money, and why we often choose Central American countries in the first place. Costa Rica is a beautiful country but it is more and more pricing itself out of the affordable tourism genre.

3. Re: Reasonably priced eats?

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 05 May 2015, 09:45