We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Has anyone visited Llanos de Cortez waterfall?

Quitman, Texas
Level Contributor
146 posts
231 reviews
Has anyone visited Llanos de Cortez waterfall?

Just heard about Llanos de Cortez waterfall and plan to visit it within the week. Has anyone been there? Any comments or suggestions about visiting? Is it open 7 days/week?

Costa Rica
Level Contributor
25,653 posts
25 reviews
1. Re: Has anyone visited Llanos de Cortez waterfall?

Llanos del Cortes is not a private thing so it is "open" all the time. It is a public place with a few local young people helping you park and charging for parking.

It's a beautiful place with a small swimming area and large waterfall. There are often howler monkeys in the trees overhead. Bring a picnic lunch.

The turnoff is 14 miles south of the traffic light in Liberia on Rt 1.

Nowhere
Destination Expert
for Playa Samara
Level Contributor
4,738 posts
109 reviews
2. Re: Has anyone visited Llanos de Cortez waterfall?

Sure - it's very nice although it has become increasingly more "discovered." Years ago, you could go pretty much any day of the week and have the area for yourself. Alas, since it's so lovely, it has rightfully seen more visitors.

Swimming isn't exactly great - it's more like wading and getting yourself a bit wet. Or you can just sit in the water.

Like Hattie said, it's wonderful for a picnic since the water spray keeps the temperature fairly manageable.

Judging by some of the other places you have liked (such as Las Rocas restaurant), this should be right up your alley.

Red Deer
Level Contributor
17 posts
5 reviews
3. Re: Has anyone visited Llanos de Cortez waterfall?

Is it safe to leave stuff in your car when you park? We'll be on our way to our hotel when we drive by and I'd like to stop but we'll have all our luggage with us.

Costa Rica
Level Contributor
25,653 posts
25 reviews
4. Re: Has anyone visited Llanos de Cortez waterfall?

It's hard for any of us to say," Oh, your stuff will be fine!" or to say "No! Leave nothing in your car!"

Chances are, at this location you won't have a problem. It's not in a tourist area but an agricultural area with some tiny villages. However - more tourists are stopping there so who really knows.

You could buy (or bring) a blanket of some kind, put your luggage on the floor and cover it with the blanket. It's not much - but at least the luggage isn't totally visible. Your best protection is to bring a small bicycle lock and lock your luggage together. This makes it harder for a thief to "smash and grab."

As always, never leave anything valuable in your car. Take all your valuables with you in a daypack.

Nowhere
Destination Expert
for Playa Samara
Level Contributor
4,738 posts
109 reviews
5. Re: Has anyone visited Llanos de Cortez waterfall?

I don't think I would leave anything in the car. i've always felt a bit queasy about parking here but actually never had a problem. Then again, my car has always been fairly empty.

Incidentally, I felt even less at ease once parking "guards" showed up - until a few years ago, there were none.

Like anywhere, if you leave your luggage in the car, you are asking for trouble. I think you'd have a much better time if you go to your hotel first, and visit the waterfall on a separate trip - without luggage.

Red Deer
Level Contributor
17 posts
5 reviews
6. Re: Has anyone visited Llanos de Cortez waterfall?

Thanks for the info! How much do they charge to park? Thinking about offering a little extra to keep an eye on our car. But then that might make them think there is actually something valuable in there and guarantee a break in

Costa Rica
Level Contributor
25,653 posts
25 reviews
7. Re: Has anyone visited Llanos de Cortez waterfall?

I'm not sure how much they ask for parking. As far as know, it's for a local youth organization that is responsible for the upkeep - but this may have changed. I wouldn't hesitate to offer a tip to someone who is collecting for parking - it's fairly common to do whether you have something worth watching or not. Probably just a tip of a dollar would be fine.

Nowhere
Destination Expert
for Playa Samara
Level Contributor
4,738 posts
109 reviews
8. Re: Has anyone visited Llanos de Cortez waterfall?

Yup, I used to give the guy 500 colones (roughly $1) and he was always okay with it.

It's not a high crime area by any stretch of the imagination, but you never know who's looking for an opportunity. In the end, it's just up to your personal comfort level. I tend to err on the side of safety (or what I perceive as "safety.")

Pinawa
Level Contributor
118 posts
6 reviews
9. Re: Has anyone visited Llanos de Cortez waterfall?

How do you get to Llanos de Cortez Waterfall from Tamarindo. Do you have to go through Liberia?

Michigan
Level Contributor
1,399 posts
280 reviews
10. Re: Has anyone visited Llanos de Cortez waterfall?

Which waterfall is more magnificent to visit - Llanos de Cortez or Rio Celeste?