We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Excursions from Hilton Papagayo?

Bracebridge, Canada
Level Contributor
559 posts
104 reviews
Excursions from Hilton Papagayo?

We will be staying at the Hilton in Jan. and I'm wondering how long it takes to go to that Arenal volcano? We will be looking to take a tour with a tour group once we get down there. Also someone else mentioned they had a really nice ride down a river and they saw howler monkeys and all kinds of wonderful flora and fauna. Do you know if there is such a trip near where I am staying? We will be there 2 weeks and hope to take say 3 tours such as the ones mentioned above. Any other suggestions or links that I can follow to see what is available? I'm nervous of heights so probably couldn't do the zip line. Thanks for any help!

Ramer, Alabama
Level Contributor
467 posts
3 reviews
1. Re: Excursions from Hilton Papagayo?

the trip to Arenal is about 3 1/2-4 hours each way, the tour will be about 16 hours, a long day. The Palo Verde River tour is a must do excursion

Bracebridge, Canada
Level Contributor
559 posts
104 reviews
2. Re: Excursions from Hilton Papagayo?

eek what a long way to that volcano! !!How far away would that river tour be?

Playa Hermosa...
Level Contributor
867 posts
8 reviews
3. Re: Excursions from Hilton Papagayo?

Palo Verde is only 1 1/2 hrs away. Here you will see howler & white face monkeys, crocs, lots of birds, iguanas.............It's a wonderful relaxing trip. Have fun!

Bracebridge, Canada
Level Contributor
559 posts
104 reviews
4. Re: Excursions from Hilton Papagayo?

Oh good that one is a go then. Cr is a lot larger than I thought..though part of the time element might be due to road conditions I assume.

moncton
Level Contributor
27 posts
5. Re: Excursions from Hilton Papagayo?

Palo verde is a great tour and when I went I saw loads of different animals, but our tour guide Eric from the Hilton Tour Guides area was awesome, I would recommend going with him, he knows everything and is a great tour guide! Also I would recomment going to Monteverde which is a amazing cloud forest and also do some zip-trecking from tree to tree....amazing experience!

San Jose, Costa Rica
Level Contributor
50,978 posts
42 reviews
6. Re: Excursions from Hilton Papagayo?

Costa Rica is a small country...but some times to get to one place to another...take a lot of mountains and hills to drive...that is the case between Papagayo and Arenal...you have to drive to Canas...Tilaran...Tabacon...La Fortuna...you can see that in a map does not looks like a long distance...

Another tour can be Rincon de La Vieja Volcano..nice drive and about 1 hour and half to 2 hours from your hotel...nice mud baths...great views...also Corobici floating trip in Canas and a visit to the Jaguar sanctuary there in Canas next to La Pacifica...

Luis Road Advisor

Just buckle up and enjoy the ride in paradise!!

Bracebridge, Canada
Level Contributor
559 posts
104 reviews
7. Re: Excursions from Hilton Papagayo?

Many thanks niko and roadadvisor. I have cut /pasted and highlited your replies into my "Trip Book". I am looking at a map of CR and it appears that Monteverde is about the same space away from the Hilton as that Arenal volcano. Is this the case? Since we do have 2 weeks I wouldn't mind spending a whole day exploring and seeing sites.

Toronto
Level Contributor
108 posts
8. Re: Excursions from Hilton Papagayo?

The ride down the river that you are referring to is called the Palo Verde River Boat tour. It's about 2 hrs. long and yes, you get to see tons of wildlife. We saw howler monkeys, crocs, iguanas, and many types of birds. I recommend going on this excursion if you're into wildlife...I, for one, enjoyed it very much.

I urge you to reconsider going on the ziplines...you won't regret it! It definately was a little scary at first, especially when you see how high up you are (I couldn't see the ground!), but after awhile, I was having a blast!! I was actually disappointed when it was over lol, but if given the opportunity to do it again, I'd jump at the chance. I met some great people on this particular excursion and we all had a good laugh :)

If you go to the ziplines at the Congo Trail, the guys that run it like to joke around with people, especially if they see you are nervous...so just act cool :) I learned this real quick as I noticed they would shake the wire as I set off...lol...oh the screams! :)

Bracebridge, Canada
Level Contributor
559 posts
104 reviews
9. Re: Excursions from Hilton Papagayo?

Thanks Faby,

At this time in my life perhaps it is now time to do something I never would have thought I'd do. Zip line.. I am so afraid of heights that being on the cottage roof in winter where you could almost walk off -set the whole body into wierd trembing. Ok so what a way to end this world.."Wow that old lady from Canada actually died screaming "Whoo whoo I did it!!" I'm a really thinkin' I will do it!!!!

10. Re: Excursions from Hilton Papagayo?

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 15 September 2009, 11:48