We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Sarchi - worth the stop?

New York City, New...
Level Contributor
7 posts
3 reviews
Sarchi - worth the stop?

We are arriving into San Jose at 9:40am and hiring a private taxi to drive us to Arenal. Is it worth it to stop in Sarchi?

I really enjoy buying local crafts and I guess I would have to ship everything home since Sarchi would be on Day 1 of our trip! Is Sarchi really unique, or would I be able to find similar crafts in La Fortuna/Manuel Antonio/Osa?

Unfortunately, we won't have the time to go there any other day so it's Day 1 or nothing. Thanks for your advice!

St. albert,Alberta
Level Contributor
921 posts
63 reviews
1. Re: Sarchi - worth the stop?

We stopped in Sarchi on our way back to the airport after 3 weeks in CR.

If you're interested in the painted ox carts, it kind of cool to watch how its done and to see the finished carts. Other than that, I thought it was a repeat of the many crafts we saw all over CR. We didn't spend a lot of time in Sarchi (only checked out 4 or 5 stores) but really didn't see anything we couldn't get elsewhere.

Santa Cruz...
Destination Expert
for Santa Cruz
Level Contributor
33,560 posts
6 reviews
2. Re: Sarchi - worth the stop?

I agree. If your time is limited, scratch Sarchi. In my opinion, the crafts there were of poor quality and cranked out for tourists.

Grants Pass Or.
Level Contributor
427 posts
3 reviews
3. Re: Sarchi - worth the stop?

What I have found lately is save your shopping for crafts until you are leaving SJO. At the airport they have most everything that you would have seen along the way and they can ship. I am sure it is slightly more expensive but for the convenience I felt it was worthwhile.

4. Re: Sarchi - worth the stop?

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 16 September 2009, 08:49
Get answers to your questions about Sarchi
Recent Conversations