We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Public bus to La Fortuna

LON
Level Contributor
3 posts
23 reviews
Public bus to La Fortuna

I'm arriving in San Jose on July 5th, staying at an airport hotel, then need to get to La Fortuna with my teenage son - I would like to try the public bus - any tips on where this would go from, how long it takes etc.? Thanks!

7 replies to this topic
Ontario, Canada
Level Contributor
9,957 posts
70 reviews
1. Re: Public bus to La Fortuna

https:/… has section "San Jose to La Fortuna" and photos. Transportes Venecia de San Carlos

(Also, a prepaid shared shuttle van with Interbus picks you up from your first hotel and delivers you to your Arenal accommodations, 8 am and 2 pm, for US$54 per adult from SJ/SJO to Arenal/La Fortuna hotels.)

Edited: 12 June 2018, 17:10
Tampa, Florida
Level Contributor
3,994 posts
51 reviews
2. Re: Public bus to La Fortuna

Others can offer specifics but I can tell you a little bit. You would have to get to the city first. There is no bus to La Fortuna that leaves directly from the airport. The ride from San Jose is probably at least four hours. It would be best to travel light, although there is an area for larger luggage. Again, others can provide details.

My question is how many days will you have near Arenal? Unless you're staying for at least two full days in addition to travel days, it would be a shame to waste so much time on public transport. You will save a lot of money but, for comparison, you can take a shared shuttle for ~$40 pp., door to door. If you arrive early enough on the 5th (by noon) you could get to La Fortuna that same day.

Ontario, Canada
Level Contributor
9,957 posts
70 reviews
3. Re: Public bus to La Fortuna

If you do a Search on this forum using the Search line just above this thread, then sort the results by Date, you will find prior discussions re transportation to La Fortuna. E.g., see https://www.tripadvisor.ca/ShowTopic-g309293… .

Chicago, Illinois
Destination Expert
for Costa Rica
Level Contributor
11,078 posts
23 reviews
4. Re: Public bus to La Fortuna

Take a taxi to the bus station in Alajuela where you can catch a direct bus to La Fortuna at 9:30 or more frequent buses to Cuidad Quesada (aka San Carlos) & transfer to a bus for La Fortuna. At least this worked in March 2018.

Tampa, Florida
Level Contributor
3,994 posts
51 reviews
5. Re: Public bus to La Fortuna

I'm curious, if you leave at 9:30 when do you arrive in La Fortuna?

6. Re: Public bus to La Fortuna

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

TripAdvisor staff removed this post because it did not meet TripAdvisor's forum guideline limiting each user to a single forums screen name.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 01 August 2018, 15:08

San Jose, Costa Rica
Level Contributor
52,284 posts
119 reviews
7. Re: Public bus to La Fortuna

By one...nice to see how many people naswer the OP question...no just links that make no sense...

Just to clarify is you leave around SJO at 930am....you will be around LA Fortuna by 1PM...minutes more minutes less.

roadadvisor

Reply to: Public bus to La Fortuna
Get notified by e-mail when a reply is posted
Get answers to your questions about Alajuela