We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Thrifty Car rental

Lompoc, California
Level Contributor
10 posts
40 reviews
Thrifty Car rental

Has anyone had recent experience with Thrifty Car Rental in San Jose? We used them 5 years ago, bought their insurance package, and all was ok. Now we do not want to purchase insurance and use our credit card insurance. Any advice? We have seen nothing but bad reviews about them.

9 replies to this topic
Tampa, Florida
Level Contributor
3,612 posts
51 reviews
1. Re: Thrifty Car rental

I recommend Vamos and also that you read the fine print in your credit card insurance policy. AmEx won't cover full size SUVs or incidents on unpaved roads. Save the money only if teh terms of your insurance seem reasonable for what and where you'll be driving.

Even if you don't rent from Vamos, they do a really good job of explaining how car insurance works in CR on their website.

Atlanta, Georgia
Level Contributor
4,071 posts
27 reviews
2. Re: Thrifty Car rental

The only insurance your CC will cover is the damage to the rental car. IE collision. It won't help with the Costa Rica liability insurance. ( damage to other cars, property and people etc. NOT the rental car). Insofar as waiving collision damage DO check, as suggested above, what your CC will and won't cover.

Most agencies will try, of course, to upsell you...

Enjoy your trip. It's a great country to visit.

Edited: 20 November 2017, 07:13
San Jose, Costa Rica
Level Contributor
50,868 posts
38 reviews
3. Re: Thrifty Car rental

Find another rent a car…

roadadvisor

Alajuela
Destination Expert
for Alajuela
Level Contributor
493 posts
50 reviews
4. Re: Thrifty Car rental

As far as I know Amex does now cover full size SUV's (they didn't a couple of years ago). No car company will cover failed river crossings but where did you see they wont cover "unpaved roads" on their Premium Insurance program?

Berni

Pura Vida Hotel

Tampa, Florida
Level Contributor
3,612 posts
51 reviews
5. Re: Thrifty Car rental

It was very clearly stated. Maybe my policy is different. If I can find it I will post it.

Canada
Level Contributor
376 posts
41 reviews
6. Re: Thrifty Car rental

Avoid Thrifty at SJO at all costs.

These guys are crooks.

Tampa, Florida
Level Contributor
3,612 posts
51 reviews
7. Re: Thrifty Car rental

This is the policy linked to my AmEx card:

https://www.americanexpress.com/content/dam/…

I had called and asked about clause IV 7, this exclusion: off-road operation by the Authorized Driver of the Rental Vehicle;

I was told that this translated to unpaved roads. Since very few roads we travel on in CR are paved, I have not taken a chance since getting that answer. We go there so often I didn't want to press our luck.

San Jose, Costa Rica
Level Contributor
50,868 posts
38 reviews
8. Re: Thrifty Car rental

Once again…avoid them…

roadadvisor

Alajuela
Destination Expert
for Alajuela
Level Contributor
493 posts