We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Marriot Hotel City Centre - Questions

Perth, Australia
Level Contributor
27 posts
10 reviews
Save Topic
Marriot Hotel City Centre - Questions

Hi guys,

My family and I are staying at the Marriot Hotel City Centre for 6 nights in October. There's not many reviews on it, so i have a few questions in regards to food and location.

tripadvisor.com.au/Hotel_Review-g308272-d195…

Just wondering if there are any good local/international restaurants/hawker spots around the hotel that anyone could recommend? We are open to all types of food. How much and what type of foods are we looking at?

Any help would be appreciated!

Thanks.

Miami Beach, Florida
Destination Expert
for Shanghai Region
Level Contributor
6,471 posts
127 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Marriot Hotel City Centre - Questions

It looks like this hotel is less than a year old. That accounts for the fewer reviews.

This is a very highly rated hotel, in the top 100 of all hotels in Shanghai. You are in the thick of things in this location. Just beware of the touts and potential scammers nearby, so read the Top Questions about Shanghai, right-hand column, "How do I protect myself from scams on East Nanjing Road..."

I would wander and explore more away from Nanjing Road than towards it. You will find more natives and common restaurants and shops, rather than those geared to tourists and rarely patronized by local families. Across the Suzhou Creek to the north are some interesting places where you might be the only western tourist among the crowds. Those are "real" older and thoroughly Chinese neighborhoods. Your family will be fascinated.

Edited: 24 April 2012, 17:20
Shanghai, China
Level Contributor
5,716 posts
47 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Marriot Hotel City Centre - Questions

Hotel is in a great location,if you like crowds and in the center of things.Very nice to People square .,about 10 minutes walk,exit from People square and exit through Nanjing donglu/Hankou lu exit no.15 to 19.

New hotel with some nice reviews but like i said location is a plus point.The Bund,Nanjing road,Huai hai zhong lu and the french concession area are all within walking distance or easily reached by metro at People square.

Within walking distance to some good food streets like the Huanghe lu with my favourite xiaolongbao and shengjian yangs fried dumplings.

Also near to South Yunnan food street.

Within 10 minutes walk to Hairy crab street at Shouning lu.

Some good restaurants nearby are like the :

South Beauty for Sichuan food at 7th floor Shimao mall behind LeMeridien hotel,JiuJIang lu

JIaJia Tangbao dumplings and Yangs fried dumplings at Huanghe lu

Lamian shop at 638 Shenda cheng Nanjing donglu

Gongdelin veg restaurant at Huanghe lu behind Park hotel

Vegetarian lifestyle restaurant at Songshan lu,beside Hong Kong plaza Huai hai zhonglu

South memory at the Hongyi mall,Nanjing donglu

Dolar shop hot pot at Hong yi mall 4th floor

Good Hunan food at DiShuidong at 59Maoming nanlu

Hunan food plus burmese food at Lost heaven at the Bund,17Yanan donglu

Guyi at City plaza

Pinchuan hunan food at Plaza 66 6th floor

Crystal Jade at 4th floor HongKong Plaza 4th floor

Jade d Jardin at 4th floor HongKong Plaza North Tower

Dingtaifung/TMSK/at Xintiandi,Huai hai zhonglu

Dingtaifung has another outlet at Shanghai Center.1st fkoor

Tang Palaca at JWMarriotTomorrow square,Nanjing xilu

Noble House at Radisson New World,Nanjing xilu.,even though i fee l that Noble House and Tang Palaca are average only.

There are actually many hole in the wall eateries and also smaller local restaurants popular for us locals but they are mainly locals orientated and the menu are all in mandarin and they dont speak english and service might be wanting.,so i do not recommend you.Besides i dont really know what you like to eat so its more of a general n broad suggestions.

Perth, Australia
Level Contributor
27 posts
10 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Marriot Hotel City Centre - Questions

Thanks for your suggestions, it's going to be very helpful!

My parents know how to speak Mandarin and we are quite open to all kinds of food. As we are in travelling in China, we would ideally like to try mostly local food ranging from all prices, however if there are exceptionally good international foods we wouldnt mind to have a taste as well.

Any more local recommendations would be greatly appreciated!

4. Re: Marriot Hotel City Centre - Questions

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 19 June 2013, 13:11