We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Day Trip from Shanghai to Hangzhou and Suzhou

Minneapolis...
Level Contributor
222 posts
6 reviews
Save Topic
Day Trip from Shanghai to Hangzhou and Suzhou

Hello, Id like to make a day trip to Hangzhou and Suzhou from Shanghai (two day trips). My hotel has arranged a guide, however its not an english speaking guide. Can anyone recommend a guide/tour company that would provide an english speaking guide?

Thanks!

Christchurch, New...
Destination Expert
for Zhuhai, Christchurch, South Island
Level Contributor
32,042 posts
330 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Day Trip from Shanghai to Hangzhou and Suzhou

In my (limited) experience there are few English speaking guides in Hangzhou or Suzhou. It is a great pity and Hangzhou esp could really benefit from more English in general. You can go it alone but for one day it would be hard work.

Melbourne
Level Contributor
76 posts
4 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Day Trip from Shanghai to Hangzhou and Suzhou

Try posting a request for a guide on forums such as www.theshanghaiforum.com

There should be some eager student ready to accompany you to both cities and show you around.

London, UK
Level Contributor
1,720 posts
188 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Day Trip from Shanghai to Hangzhou and Suzhou

Hi marsy

We have booked a guide so that they can get us taxis etc when needed. But if you buy the Lonely Planet Shanghai book you can identify your main interests & show them the maps in the book & ask them to take you to those places. I am sure that will work for us (going in October). The Lonely Planet book has the names of the places in chinese as well as english, so you can try saying them to the guide!

Thailand
Level Contributor
282 posts
13 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Day Trip from Shanghai to Hangzhou and Suzhou

Hi there

I just came back from Shanghai trip, did Hangzhou and Suzhou. I can't speak Chinese but found no problem getting taxi as long as you are well prepared. What you need is the name of places you like to visit in Chinese to show taxi, in English for yourself and better if you also have in pinyin (spelling sound) so you can at least pronounce that word in Chinese somehow. For Chinese part, you better have a big letter size as some of taxi drivers are not young :-) so they don't have to take his eyeglasses.

For example, 杭州 / Hangzhou / Hángzhōu. I print a lot of name in one sheet, show andn point to the taxi drivers. All taxi drivers i met there are nice though we don't speak to each others.

Phontong

Kuala Lumpur
8 posts
Save Reply
5. Re: Day Trip from Shanghai to Hangzhou and Suzhou

I am planning to go there too. A friend recommended this website. Do check it out. www.ctrip.com. They do have English speaking tours.

6. Re: Day Trip from Shanghai to Hangzhou and Suzhou

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 22 December 2010, 10:47