We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Shanghai metro

UK
Destination Expert
for Chester
Level Contributor
4,087 posts
17 reviews
Shanghai metro

A very basic question.....are the station names written in the Roman alphabet as well as Chinese. If not, how does one recognise the right station?

Thanks

8 replies to this topic
Sherbrooke, Canada
Level Contributor
46,063 posts
839 reviews
1. Re: Shanghai metro

Station names are in letters and announcements are in English. Ticket machines have English. Go to Youtube and watch videos about how to ride the Shanghai subway.

Hong Kong, China
Destination Expert
for Hong Kong, Beijing, Shanghai Region, Shenzhen, Bangkok
Level Contributor
8,006 posts
109 reviews
2. Re: Shanghai metro

Since Expo 2018 Shanghai all the signs and announcements are in English as well.

Sherbrooke, Canada
Level Contributor
46,063 posts
839 reviews
3. Re: Shanghai metro

What is Expo 2018?

As far as I know, the signs have been in English for as long as I can remember.

Dublin, California
Level Contributor
23,889 posts
47 reviews
4. Re: Shanghai metro

The announcements are bilingual, but sometimes it's not easy to hear. The signs are also bilingual.

UK
Destination Expert
for Chester
Level Contributor
4,087 posts
17 reviews
5. Re: Shanghai metro

Many thanks to you all for the prompt replies. It’s a relief to know that we’ll see when we have arrived at our station.

Cookie2011,I fear I shall be pestering you with lots more rookie questions before our trip in February. Now I know how all the posters on the U.K. forum who ask how to get from Heathrow Airport to central London or how do you know which London bus goes to Wetsmknster must feel!

Edited: 28 September 2018, 22:28
British Columbia...
Level Contributor
797 posts
33 reviews
6. Re: Shanghai metro

The system is great I had no problem reading anything. You will be amazed at how easy it is. English is everywhere.

Shanghai Region...
Level Contributor
325 posts
4 reviews
7. Re: Shanghai metro

All stations are bilingual but the challenge is finding the right exit leading to your destination.

Most stations are connected to tunnels and sometimes the right exit is within the transfer area of a different subway line. Allow more time to find your way around.

Chicago, Illinois
Level Contributor
17,839 posts
118 reviews
8. Re: Shanghai metro

The Shanghai metro is extremely easy to use if you speak English. Frankly it is much, much nicer than the subways in London and other big Western Europe cities.

Reply to: Shanghai metro
Get notified by e-mail when a reply is posted