We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Flight from Guilin to Shanghai Reliability?

Timbuktu, Mali
Level Contributor
23 posts
1 review
Save Topic
Flight from Guilin to Shanghai Reliability?

If I have the following flight:

Shanghai (PVG) to London (LHR) 13:20 > 18:40

What are the chances of a cancellation or delay when connecting from the following?

Guilin (KWL) to Shanghai (PVG) 07:15 > 09:30

Should I fly the day before to make sure? I'd like to spend an extra day in Yangshuo if possible.

Thanks. :-)

6 replies to this topic
Sydney, Australia
Level Contributor
689 posts
Save Reply
1. Re: Flight from Guilin to Shanghai Reliability?

I would recommend to arrive in Shanghai the day before the departure date.

California
Level Contributor
2,437 posts
15 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Flight from Guilin to Shanghai Reliability?

"What are the chances of a cancellation or delay when connecting from the following?"

No one knows for your specific flight, on the day you fly, which is why it's highly recommended that you do not take a flight to your departure city on the day of departure.

Though I regularly break this rule on my flight home, with my connections I've got a 7 to 9 hour layover in Guangzhou. Still, I have had my domestic flight canceled one time and missed my flight back to the US. Since these flights were purchased on one ticket, other than a 2 day delay (all flights had been canceled for a couple of days due to the closeness of a typhoon), the airline rescheduled us.

If I only had 4 hours as you do, I would be flying the afternoon/evening before. Domestic flight delays of at least an hour and longer are not uncommon and sometimes this is accompanied with a late arrival of the flight into the domestic airport making the problem worse. If these flights are purchased on one ticket, the issue is minimized since the airline will get you booked on another flight to your destination. If purchased as individually ticketed flights, you're on your own.

NNJ
Level Contributor
3,939 posts
55 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Flight from Guilin to Shanghai Reliability?

Since it's an earlier flight, it's better to fly the night before, like a 9, or 10pm flight.

Sherbrooke, Canada
Level Contributor
45,282 posts
824 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Flight from Guilin to Shanghai Reliability?

I never take a domestic flight on the same day of an international flight returning home. Even if the odds are 99% that it is fine, you may be the one percent and that would be a disaster.

Beijing, China
Level Contributor
11,963 posts
5 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Flight from Guilin to Shanghai Reliability?

Add me to the list of those that wouldn't take this gamble. Take an evening flight the day before and spend the last night in Shanghai, that way you'd still get most of a day in Yangshuo before having to go back to Guilin Airport.

Timbuktu, Mali
Level Contributor
23 posts
1 review
Save Reply
6. Re: Flight from Guilin to Shanghai Reliability?

Great - I'll probably go even further and take a filght to Shanghai the morning before.

Thanks everyone.

Reply to: Flight from Guilin to Shanghai Reliability?
Get notified by e-mail when a reply is posted