We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Shanghai to Hong Kong via train

United Kingdom
Level Contributor
217 posts
170 reviews
Save Topic
Shanghai to Hong Kong via train

I'm looking to book the train (z99 I think) for 2 people in a private superior soft sleeper compartment (I know it only runs on even dates) but all I can find is a couple of websites that look like tourist websites, not an actual train booking website. Can anyone help direct me where I need to book this?

14 replies to this topic
NNJ
Level Contributor
3,925 posts
55 reviews
Save Reply
11. Re: Shanghai to Hong Kong via train

If you are tall, go with Cathy. This is based on a round trip I had a few years back with both companies'

Chelsea, Michigan
Level Contributor
5 posts
217 reviews
Save Reply
12. Re: Shanghai to Hong Kong via train

Here are two that I ahve used tp search for tickets. I ended up buying the tickets in a train station when I was in Shanghai, really my Chinese girl friend handed over the money and my passport.

http://www.china-train-ticket.com/

http://trains.china.org.cn/

The second url is the government site.Once you get to Shenzhen it is a short walk to enter Hong Kong. There are three types of line get in the right entry lane. Then you need to get a train to the Hong Kong subway station.

Good Luck.

Sherbrooke, Canada
Level Contributor
45,240 posts
824 reviews
Save Reply
13. Re: Shanghai to Hong Kong via train

The second one is not the government. It seems that you can't book there. This is a news website.

Brisbane, Australia
Level Contributor
28 posts
426 reviews
Save Reply
14. Re: Shanghai to Hong Kong via train

I know this is too late for Drew but thought this may be useful for others. We have just returned home after taking the Z99 train from Shanghai to Hong Kong in the superior soft sleeper which includes an ensuite. (Beds are hard). We booked our tickets online with China Highlights who were efficient and friendly. Our tickets were delivered to our hotel in Shanghai before our arrival. Everything went perfectly and the train was a good experience. Mostly locals onboard - just one other Western couple.

Reply to: Shanghai to Hong Kong via train
Get notified by e-mail when a reply is posted