We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Deciding on how many nights at Castaway?

Ocean Grove...
Level Contributor
369 posts
23 reviews
Save Topic
Deciding on how many nights at Castaway?

Hi all, just wanting some advice for our upcoming holiday in Fiji in November this year.

We have 11 nights all up and need to decide on either 4 nights Denarau and 7 nights Castaway, or 3 nights Denarau and 8 nights Castaway.

Seems like an easy answer I know (8 nights Castaway), but we are arriving late on arrival before our stay at Denarau so lose a day there, and wonder if 3 nights is enough to really settle in and relax, while getting supplies for Castaway.

We are a family of 5 with our youngest being 3 if that makes any difference.

Thanks in advance for your help

Kat

Tweed Heads...
Level Contributor
201 posts
15 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Deciding on how many nights at Castaway?

Hi Kat

Three days at Denarau will be more than sufficient I reckon. You won't need a great deal of supplies for Castaway and there is a supermarket at Denarau or you can go into Nadi town itself where things will be cheaper. I'm assuming you're staying one night in Denarau after Castaway before you catch your flight? One full day on the mainland will be enough to get organized for sunscreen, snacks for the kids, insect repellant and the like. Take the extra day on Castaway, you won't regret it.

Melbourne, Australia
Level Contributor
161 posts
7 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Deciding on how many nights at Castaway?

Our first trip we did 3 nights The Westin and 7 nights Castaway, we actually met some really nice people with kids the same age as our kids and we spent time with them at the Sheraton Villas pool and had dinner with them. So for our second trip we did 4 nights The Radisson and 7 nights at Castaway. Our kids loved The Radisson although this time we didn't meet any friends and after the 4 nights were quite keen to get to Castaway. We are going again in June and due to availability this time we are doing 8 nights at Castaway first. We are doing an extra night as we are taking the water taxi direct and won't arrive until 8-9pm and then doing 3 nights at The Radisson. We also will be travelling with 3 kids our youngest will turn 3 whilst we are at Castaway.

Personally for me I would do the extra at Castaway, but it really depends if you have plans to look around the mainland or not. It doesn't take much to grab a few supplies and you won't need much for Castaway. A few snacks for the kids and some wine if you are worried about the prices. Each time I have had to leave Castaway I have wished we were there for longer.

Moreton Island...
Level Contributor
6,622 posts
68 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Deciding on how many nights at Castaway?

IMO have extra time at Castaway, Kat.

Just buy the supplies the next day at the supermarket, and remember to take an extra empty carry on bag to take them on SSC's.

3 nights at the most, and depending on your flight times perhaps 2.

LTB

Ocean Grove...
Level Contributor
369 posts
23 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Deciding on how many nights at Castaway?

Thank everyone for your replies.

We arrive about 7pm on the first day so have decided to stay at Denarau after a long day travelling from Melbourne, we wont want to go far. At this stage it will probably be Sheraton Villas but am open to other possiblities.

When we leave our flight departs at 6.30pm so we wont need a night on the mainland then.

We really wont be looking around the mainland much, apart from dinner at the Marina one night maybe, possibly a visit to the orphanage and just getting some alcohol, and drinks for the kids for Castaway. We are on a full meal plan at Castaway so wont need any snacks.

I presumed the answer would be to take the extra night at Castaway but just wanted to double check if 2 days at Denarau with 3 kids will be enough time without feeling too rushed.

Thank you again

Kat

Edited: 01 February 2012, 14:11
5. Re: Deciding on how many nights at Castaway?

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 03 July 2014, 02:45
Get answers to your questions about Castaway Island...