We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Mardi gras

Montgomery, Alabama
Level Contributor
38 posts
3 reviews
Mardi gras

Hello!

My husband and I just moved to Pensacola and would like to see what Mardi Gras in Mobile is all about! (I drive to Mobile Infirmary a few days a week for work so I’m only slightly familiar with the city)

We are going this weekend (Feb 2 or 3) as we will be out of town for the main weekend. I’ve seen the parade schedule and routes posted online but does anyone have any advice about where to park (we are fine with walking) and where to be for the parades along the route and how early to get there?

Thanks in advance

9 replies to this topic
Tyler, Texas
Level Contributor
8,133 posts
104 reviews
1. Re: Mardi gras

Fairhope has parades, safer, easier, more family. One of the parades uses Mobile floats!

http://www.fairhopemardigras.com

Edited: 01 February 2018, 03:53
Montgomery, Alabama
Level Contributor
38 posts
3 reviews
2. Re: Mardi gras

We might try Fairhope it in the future but would like to experience the ORIGINAL Mardi Gras...especially as a young couple that don't have any kids or anything yet ;)

Tyler, Texas
Level Contributor
8,133 posts
104 reviews
3. Re: Mardi gras

Then go Sat for 2 pm, be parked by noon. Take I10 , then Broad or Michigan, find a LEGAl parking spot somewhere on Govt or just off, west of Broad. Walk down Government as far as you want, enjoy the atmosphere. Get over Dauphin , enjoy the party street and bars. Watch the crowd for troublemakers, watch the parade where you feel comfortable. Have dinner along Dauphin, if you have not been, try Wintzels. Stay for evening parade.

Do not park illegally...you will be towed

Do not cross any barriers, you will be arrested.

Do not confront anyone for any reason, walk on.

Dress for after dark, gets cool

Tyler, Texas
Level Contributor
8,133 posts
104 reviews
4. Re: Mardi gras

PS. my favorite parades. Comic Cowboys, Joe Cain....both daylight parades

Tyler, Texas
Level Contributor
8,133 posts
104 reviews
5. Re: Mardi gras

BTW. next year get some tickets to a ball from someone at the Infirmary.. Dress up, enjoy a ball. That's Mardi Gras.

Edited: 01 February 2018, 08:17
Montgomery, Alabama
Level Contributor
38 posts
3 reviews
6. Re: Mardi gras

Thanks for the info—will definitely hunt ball tickets next year when we know more people. That sounds like a blast!

Tyler, Texas
Level Contributor
8,133 posts
104 reviews
7. Re: Mardi gras

BTW.. Fairhope is closer to Pensacola and is an Infirmary Hospital. But hard to transfer into. And the new ER unit too.

Mobile, Alabama
Level Contributor
37 posts
112 reviews
8. Re: Mardi gras

Mardi Gras in Mobile is not just the original celebration; it is also perfectly safe. Your biggest danger is being hit with a box a Moon Pies by an overzealous reveler on a float.

While it’s too late for this year, Joe Cain Sunday (two days before Mardi Gras) is a unique event and usually the busiest day. If you get in before the barricades go up, you can often drive into Downtown and find free parking.

Fairhope is fine, and every small town has its parade primarily for locals and people staying in the area. None of them are destination celebrations. Mobile’s Mardi Gras is one people travel to from all over. I hope you had fun.

Tyler, Texas
Level Contributor
8,133 posts
104 reviews
9. Re: Mardi gras

It was a quiet season

al.com/news/mobile/index.ssf/2018/02/prelimi…

Reply to: Mardi gras
Get notified by e-mail when a reply is posted