We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

massage and night market melaka

singapore
Level Contributor
52 posts
Save Topic
massage and night market melaka

hello all

I have booked the hotel in malacca from wed to fri, but just realised that there is a night market on fridays. Can anyone tell me what is the night market like? What kinds of things will be on sale in the market?

Another question - is there any place in malacca that i can get a traditional massage? how much is the charges?

thanks!

Melaka, Malaysia
Destination Expert
for Melaka
Level Contributor
2,233 posts
89 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: massage and night market melaka

Hi Chia,

The night market in Jonker Walk is interesting because the main selling point is local craft and food, not much of pirated DVD or fake designer T Shirts. It is buzzling with some music and performance on center stage. Try to stay at least Friday night to visit the market.

You can find some traditional chinese tidbits and cute local craft but also those souvenirs from Thailand.

There is a foot and body massage shop on the left hand side of the center stage as you enter jonker walk from the traffic flow.

amazingmelaka.com/2006/…

Melaka, Malaysia
Destination Expert
for Melaka
Level Contributor
2,233 posts
89 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: massage and night market melaka

Hi Chia,

I forgot to mention, the masseaurs are mainland chinese who can do foot, body, neck and head massage, 1 hour for RM38 which is good value.

singapore
Level Contributor
52 posts
Save Reply
3. Re: massage and night market melaka

Thanks Alex.

May I ask if these local foods and crafts etc are available in the day, say along Jonker Walk?

BTW what tiime does the market stalls start operating?

Also the most important question is -- will there be any problem catching a cab from the night market to Tampin Train station, because the cab will likely have to return to malacca without passenger? I presume by that time (assuming I catch the midnight train), buses would not be in service anymore.

Thanks

singapore
Level Contributor
52 posts
Save Reply
4. Re: massage and night market melaka

BTW, Alex, any new discoveries regarding the karaoke?

thanks

Melaka, Malaysia
Destination Expert
for Melaka
Level Contributor
2,233 posts
89 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: massage and night market melaka

Hi Chia,

I have asked the taxi drivers waiting at the night market when I needed to go to Tampin last month. It costs RM60! Normally, it costs around RM40-50 depends on how you bargain but since you will mostly take it close to 11 pm, the price is difficult to bring down.

It is actually a long journey, through dim roads. My friend who has sent me before has complaint about it. They have to drive to and forth, so I would rather pay the cab then ask people to sent me there.

Sorry, no chance to go to the Karaoke last time I was back. Too hectic schedules and two nights I was enjoying myself in Jonker Walk. I have been back for few weeks already since I am travelling to Hong Kong and Taipei.

6. Re: massage and night market melaka

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 11 September 2009, 06:48