We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

calangute

Burnham-On-Sea...
Level Contributor
395 posts
4 reviews
Save Topic
calangute

on arrival by taxi we put the suitcases in the room and off down to zico's it was about 1am and a bit hyper as we had been sat on a plane for nearly 10 hours and sat in a taxi for an hour driven by an indian (i'm so glad they know the roads)

2 large kingfishers and 2 large honey bees later the people who came by the coach was starting to arrive me and o/h was abit happier now went to bed approx 4.30

up for breakfast next day at 0800 and we had to pay for the eggs bacon and any thing else which wasn't toast tea or coffee and this was supposed to be a bed and breakfast hotel so we ate breakfast in zico's or bonnies just down the road from babutes from then on

our first evening meal we didn't know where to go so took a walk and saw a nice quiet place called the old mango tree and had the most wonderful tandoori chicken tender and moist

the following day was spent on calangute beach which i thought wasn't as busy as we were expecting it this was because it was spread out and a lot of the shacks have been closed down went into baga to find a small family restaurant we went to on our 1st time to goa couldn't remember what it was called but had an idea where it was had been taken over buy nepalese and didn't look the same so walked on into baga and found a restaurant which was showing live football and looked new and trendy called LUCKY MAMAS LEA (i put in capitals 'cos i don't want you to forget it) i asked for a mutton curry and o/h asked for a tandoori chicken was told don't do tandoori can do bbq chicken then the head waitress or even manager came over and asked if she could help she said yes no problem half chicken or whole half please. 1 hour later a whole chicken came out and i think it was still clucking as it approached the table and my mutton had been dead 20 years it was as tough as an old squaddies boots please don't go here to eat

next day down to candolim and now i know why calangute is not so busy it's because they have all moved to candolim there was miles of shacks and the best one we found during the our trip[ was bono's nice and clean food was good had to pay 50 rps for sunbed but they did look after you ate in after 7 for a delicious fillet steak late night drink in babutes till 2.30 ish could of been later but i was tired

ashwem beach for today which was very nice bit of a trip out but is very nice and quiet compared to calangute and candolim, really good byriani lunch a nice walk to exercise some of the good food off and back to hotel at 5 zico's for dinner 4 jumbo prawns in garlic butter delicious and i thought expensive 1300 rps

day trip to old goa and panjim today with taxi driver took us to the church and cathedral and to panjim and to one of these cottage industries which are very pesuading and don't like no for an answer ended up buying a shawl, hat and some tea which is better than spending £400 on a 6 x 4 rug........... phew

dinner in the hotel as it seafood bbq and i had the red snapper which was delicious and only 400 rps well worth it

stayed by the pool for a change nice and quiet and i needed to slow down on the eating cos i love the food and wanted to try every thing but my waistline didn't like it so only had a sandwich all day and it was buffet night in the hotel have had better grub but it was free

went to candolim beach again bono's

dinner was at the english style pub called the "why not" had entertainment and steak and kidney pie and chips with mushy peas and gravy too much spice and this made a change

day trip to dudhesagar falls a long a hard day enjoyable and booked through day tripper babutes for dinner seafood byriani and the best galic naan bread i had since being there

was supposed to be going to haampi for a 3 day trip but o/h not very well and stayed in hotel went babutes on my own had a very nice chicken tikka with garlic naan bread

met a couple from plymouth and explained that the o/h was ill and they advised me to take her to the chemist over the road who could speak very good english and was very helpful the wife came up after i had finished eating and they took her over to the chemist and he helped her out and was all cleared up in 2 days

took a trip to south goa cavelossim and stayed at mikes place 2500 rps for the 2 of us b&b but was only for 1 night ate in the jazz inn and listened to live music he used to be a backing singer in ub40 a great night even the russians enjoyed it

was told about a shack called the rovers return on calangute beach as they did a wonderful suckling pig so spent the day there after ordering ours for the next day went to casa sea shell for dinner had tiger prawns and o/h had a chicken rogan josh which we both enjoyed and a very nice clean restaurant in candolim

spent the day at rovers reurn again as we was going to be eating there later and is a very friendly family run shack the suckling pig was delicious and served with roast potato's white cabbage mashed potato's cauliflour cheese apple saucve and gravy the pork crackling was served with the pork but as there was only 2 of us we didn't get the head on the plate thank goodness my o/h said

too many restaurants and shacks that was reccomended and wanted to try but not enough days in the 3 weeks we were there and went back to the one's we really enjoyed like the old mango tree the rovers return and babutes, but babutes was 'cos it wasn't far to go and the food was fairly decent

the kerfew on selling anything after 11pm started on the 27th jan it wasn't so bad we just got back to the hotel about 10.45 and ordered a few drinks sometimes we carried on and got drinks out of the mini bar or drank our duty free

peter the pool and bar manager was a excellent host and did all the bbq's and buffet'sbbq night's entertainment was karaoke which i personaly don 't like and buffety night was racing night with bingo which i think is utter rubbish but the o/h enjoys her bingo

overall i think the hotel was a good central place which needed updating a lot and needed cleaning a lot. Goa in general has got a lot dirtier and the cows on the street turn all the bins over to get the rubbish, the locals don't put the rubbish in the bins any more they just rip it open and throw it at the cow's and it seems to be over flowing the smell is not too good either

so i would recomend going down south which is where i am going next time i go to goa but for the next holiday its going to be A/I 5 star which we hope is clean

Whitstable, United...
Level Contributor
4,348 posts
8 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: calangute

Lovely read. Thank you.

London, United...
Level Contributor
1,585 posts
250 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: calangute

Enjoyed reading your trip report - made me very hungry!!!! all the fab meals you had...

Boo

Wednesbury, United...
Level Contributor
21 posts
Save Reply
3. Re: calangute

hi jackiedave,great reading what hotel you staying in?

Burnham-On-Sea...
Level Contributor
395 posts
4 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: calangute

stayed at the osborne hotel in calangute

sorry forgot to put what hotel

Wednesbury, United...
Level Contributor
21 posts
Save Reply
5. Re: calangute

cheers, were staying at santa monica, flying out tuesday morning not long now.

Midlands
Level Contributor
1,108 posts
83 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: calangute

very interesteing - we going in 3 weeks and not been to calangute before,interested in shacks there although i have a feeling we wont be on the beach much....

Leeds
Destination Expert
for Goa
Level Contributor
11,640 posts
79 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: calangute

Enjoyed reading your report, thanks for sharing.

Crewe, United...
Level Contributor
51 posts
68 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: calangute

Thanks for the report, we stay at the Osborne for two weeks from the 16th, first time in Goa, cant wait now! :)

oswaldtwistle
14 posts
Save Reply
9. Re: calangute

hi we are staying at the osbourne on the 17th for 3 weeks.

Burnham-On-Sea...
Level Contributor
395 posts
4 reviews
Save Reply
10. Re: calangute

just remember the osborne is only 3 * and in my opinion should only be 2 * , you get for what you pay we only paid £650 each for 3 weeks, but when we was there some people paid £1000 each, there was 3 of them - mum,dad with there son who was about 17 and they had to share there room, the son had a small put you up bed which must of been quite uncomfortable and they was there for 2 weeks

Edited: 08 March 2012, 00:30
Get answers to your questions about Calangute
Recent Conversations