We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Gulf Shores vs. Destin

Dallas, Texas
Level Contributor
90 posts
33 reviews
Save Topic
Gulf Shores vs. Destin

I've never been to Gulf Shores, but been to Destin twice and love it because of it's crystal clear waters (as close to Mexico beach and waters as possible!).

Are the waters of Gulf Shores like Destin or more like the dark, blue ocean waters like on the Daytona Beach coastline? Thanks!

Beebe, Arkansas
Destination Expert
for Little Rock
Level Contributor
2,305 posts
67 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Gulf Shores vs. Destin

The water in gulf shores is not quite as clear as destin, But the water is beautiful.

Here is a link to a couple of pictures I took in gulf shores of the water.

tripadvisor.com/ReviewPhotos-g30582-d617035-…

The weather has a lot to do with how clear the water is, If it is stormy, the water is less clear.

But that is true of all beaches,

Gulf shores is less crowded and the beaches are super clean, and it has a big family atmosphere.

Dallas, Texas
Level Contributor
90 posts
33 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Gulf Shores vs. Destin

Wow, the water is still pretty clear in your pictures. I've been to Destin when the water wasn't even that clear at times. Thanks! :)

Birmingham, Alabama
Level Contributor
32 posts
24 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Gulf Shores vs. Destin

I grew up going to Gulf Shores a couple times a year. When I was finishing high school we went to Destin and we haven't been back to Gulf Shores since. It is definitely worth checking out, but we love Destin...we even got married there. When we go to Destin we stay on Okaloosa Island where there is less of a crowd.

Dallas, Texas
Level Contributor
90 posts
33 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Gulf Shores vs. Destin

That's great! I stay at the Holiday Inn on the Beach in Destin. I've been during Spring Break and Labor Day weekend, and it has never been too crowded. All the other hotels seem to be a lot more crowded though. I love it because it's the only full-service hotel in Destin, and you can charge food, drinks, and everything to your room!

Alabama
Level Contributor
17 posts
16 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Gulf Shores vs. Destin

I have been vacationing at Gulf Shores and the Destin area since I was a child and the ocean water is definately alot clearer and cleaner in Destin than Gulf Shores. Last summer when we vacationed in Gulf Shores we couldn't even get in the ocean for all of the seaweed! It was the worst that I have ever seen it. Gulf Shores is a nice quiet area but I prefer Destin not only for that reason but also because they have better shopping!

Beebe, Arkansas
Destination Expert
for Little Rock
Level Contributor
2,305 posts
67 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Gulf Shores vs. Destin

Sorry, about the sea weed........

But I have been on many beaches all over, and at times if there is a storm out in the ocean, The sea weed will come in.......

And I have been in destin when the water wasn't so great....

Watch what weeks you do,

Tropical storm season always brings in sea weed, and murky water to any beach...

Florida seems to have a problem with red tide...

The beaches get closed alot during summer months....

Both places are good,

But Destin is just too crowded.......

Cave City KY
Level Contributor
28 posts
1 review
Save Reply
7. Re: Gulf Shores vs. Destin

I agree with Fordorama. 'Nuff said.

8. Re: Gulf Shores vs. Destin

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 21 September 2009, 00:46