We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

sundarban

New delhi
2 posts
Save Topic
sundarban

Is there any cruise available from kolkata to sundarban???

Calcutta
Level Contributor
284 posts
16 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: sundarban

The West Bengal tourism department used to operate a boat ride to Sunderbans. Its not in the same league as cruise ships. You may like to check with them if they still operate it.

Once you reach your resort in Sunderbans - you can have day-cruises on small steamers. Again not luxury stuff.

UK
2 posts
Save Reply
2. Re: sundarban

hi

My wife and I retired 2003, got a visa from Bengal Tourist Board / nr Writers Building and booked 3 days at a small office next to the tourist board. You stay in the either tents or small bungalows and go oot on boats each day. If your lucky, as we were; you get to see a tiger

Peter

Parkland, FL
Level Contributor
5 posts
6 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: sundarban

Are you sure that it was a real tiger? I have an eerie feeling that the real ones have been eliminated. The ones hanging around are humans dressed as tigers.

UK
2 posts
Save Reply
4. Re: sundarban

Yes, it was a real tiger,

Tigers are great swimmers and this young male tiger was crossing a large bay, we cut it off in the boat and the tiger had to swim round the boat where we photographed it. It then climbed the shallow mud bank and off in to the tiger palm.

At the centre where we stayed they list all tiger siteing the last tiger to be seen before that one was 14 days earlier.

It a massive area and I am told there our less than 300 tigers in the whole of the sunderban, the chances of seeing a tiger are very rare.

Just in the area where we stayed over 20 peple a year are killed and in the whole sunderband area it runs into 1000,s.

These people live with the tigers and they are very real.

I have some TV video on the sunderband and tiger are a real danger to the fishermen and honey collectors. The honey collectors wear a bright mask on the back of their heads, since they believe the tiger only attacks from behind.

As they say in the sunderband, "the tiger is always watching you "

Hope this is helpful

peter

Parkland, FL
Level Contributor
5 posts
6 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: sundarban

I was just kidding! A few years ago, I tried to go get info on Sundarbans at the Tourist Bureau at Dum Dum only to be told that it is vey hard to get accomodation and not worth it. I did go there and took the motor launch and came back dissapointed.

Parkland, FL
Level Contributor
5 posts
6 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: sundarban

On motor launches, pl do not trust the WB Tourism. It is better to make private arrangements!!

Calcutta
Level Contributor
284 posts
16 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: sundarban

Travel to Sunderban is not as scary. I first went there in 1993 and things have improved vastly since them. If you are visiting - please go there without fear - it's extremely beautiful and most probably unlike anything you would have seen in the past.

There are several options in Sunderbans.

Stay

1. Sunderban Tiger Camp - you can check out there web site - called www.sunderbantigercamp.com

2. Sunderban Jungle Camp - more expensive - but they offer door to door service - which means they will pick you up from your home and take you straight to the resort and then drop you back at your doorstep. Cant get more convenient than this.

3. The Government run Tourist Lodge - which was quite run down when I last saw - so unless they have privatised it or made it up - not advisable.

4. Tours on Motor Launches run by the Government - there are private operators planning trips as well - but not sure if they are operational.

Geography

Sunderban is a vast forest stretching from Bangladesh in the East to West Bengal in the West. The West Bengal part of the forest can be accessed from multiple points - Raidighi / Gosaba / Hingalganj etc. All tourists use Gosaba as the entry point.

Travel

A journey to the resorts typically is something like this

- A 2 hr ride by car or coach to a place called Sonakhali ( near Basanti).

- A ferry ride from Sonakhali to your resort - the ferry ride can be long - so prepare for a 2-3 hr ferry trip.

There are alternative ways to travel and all of them harder - for example you can reach Sonakhali via a train to Canning - then a Ferry to Dock Ghat and then a bus or Auto ride to Sonakhali. None of these are advisable unless you are after adventure.

San Diego, Calif...
1 post
Save Reply
8. Re: sundarban

Yes, I have experience in 2004. Just go to WB Tourism's office in Chowranghee and book your trip for a 2-N 3-D trip. This includes meals, lodging and boat ride (an older model diesel powerd tour boat - little bit of clunker but tolerable). Opt for on-land lodging instead of on board. The trip includes visits to various tiger camps. Costs about Rs.2500 per person (2004). Please check.

Good luck - Deben Mitter, San Diego, Calif., USA.

Dhaka City...
Level Contributor
6 posts
4 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: sundarban

bristi,

it is nice that you are interested about sundarban..fine..ya there are cruise from dhaka..they are package tours. you can stay 4/5 nights in the deep of sundarbans..I am internal traveller in Bangladesh which is completly my hobby..if you need more information about any regard do not hesitate to contack with me..

sazzad0177@yahoo.com

admin of www.adventurebangladesh.com (coming soon)

10. Re: sundarban

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

TripAdvisor staff removed this post either because the author requested it, or because it did not meet TripAdvisor's forum guidelines.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 26 November 2006, 20:44