We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Snow Fall in Darjeeling

Dhaka City...
Level Contributor
92 posts
1 review
Save Topic
Snow Fall in Darjeeling

want to visit Darjeeling only for snow fall... i do not want to miss the snow fall if i visit darjeeling... please suggest best time to travel...

thanks... :)

Kolkata, India
Destination Expert
for Kolkata, Darjeeling, India
Level Contributor
8,312 posts
22 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Snow Fall in Darjeeling

Snowfall in Darjeeling is very rare and may not happen every year. It can snow anytime in late Dec, Jan, Feb. There is no guarantee. For seeing snow, go to Tsomgo lake in Sikkim in Dec-Jan.

India
Destination Expert
for Shimla, Manali, Kashmir, Shillong, Sikkim, Uttarakhand, Puri, Darjeeling, Kolkata, Himachal Pradesh, Srinagar, Dalhousie, India, Ladakh, Leh
Level Contributor
34,626 posts
48 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Snow Fall in Darjeeling

There will be snow.. snow and snow in North Sikkim. If you want to see snow nearby Darjeeling, Sandakphu is the place. Where snow gathers from mid December to February. You need 2 nts for that and of course approx 12 hrs trek.

AshisRoy

Edited: 15 November 2011, 13:28
Dhaka City...
Level Contributor
92 posts
1 review
Save Reply
3. Re: Snow Fall in Darjeeling

@ brave1...

can you please suggest how to go to Tsomgo lake from darjeeling...? can I visit and get back to darjeeling on the same day...?

@AshishRoy...

is there any other way to go there without trekking...?

India
Destination Expert
for Shimla, Manali, Kashmir, Shillong, Sikkim, Uttarakhand, Puri, Darjeeling, Kolkata, Himachal Pradesh, Srinagar, Dalhousie, India, Ladakh, Leh
Level Contributor
34,626 posts
48 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Snow Fall in Darjeeling

No, Sandakphu is on a trek route.

With kind permission of brave1, am answering the 1st part of the post : Visiting Tsomgo Lake cannot be possible in day tour from Darjeeling.

AshisRoy

Edited: 15 November 2011, 17:56
Kolkata, India
Destination Expert
Level Contributor
8,312 posts
22 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Snow Fall in Darjeeling

LoL Asishda, you don't need my permission to answer any post. You and I are both here to help travellers.

@ Nehal : AshisRoy is correct, you have to go stay in Gangtok to visit Tsomgo Lake. Its possible as a daytrip from Gangtok, not from Darjeeling.

Dhaka City...
Level Contributor
92 posts
1 review
Save Reply
6. Re: Snow Fall in Darjeeling

thanks... any other place with snow in gangtok...?

India
Destination Expert
Level Contributor
34,626 posts
48 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Snow Fall in Darjeeling

There will be no snow near Gangtok except Tsomgo and Nathula.

AshisRoy

Dhaka City...
Level Contributor
92 posts
1 review
Save Reply
8. Re: Snow Fall in Darjeeling

will there be snow at Tsomgo and Nathula in early december...? like 01-15th december...?

Dhaka City...
Level Contributor
92 posts
1 review
Save Reply
9. Re: Snow Fall in Darjeeling

and i have found that the Nathula is not open for non-indians. Is it true?

tripadvisor.com/ShowTopic-g659796-i13424-k48…

Kolkata, India
Destination Expert
Level Contributor
8,312 posts
22 reviews
Save Reply
10. Re: Snow Fall in Darjeeling

Nathula Pass will have been closed for the winter by that time, but you are likely to find snow in and around Tsomgo Lake. Of course, a little depends on your luck as its still early winter, but there is a fair chance.

Don't forget you have to get permits for Tsomgo Lake as its a restricted area. As far as I know non-Indians are not allowed to actually visit Nathula pass, just upto Tsomgo lake.

Edited: 16 November 2011, 14:14
Get answers to your questions about Darjeeling