We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Shooping at pashupati market

Bangalore
Level Contributor
14 posts
52 reviews
Save Topic
Shooping at pashupati market

Hi Everyone,

I would be visiting Darjeeling and Gangtok in December, 09. Would like to know if Pashupati market near Mirik which is famous for cheap foreign goods is a good idea.

Or, Gangtok would be a better option to do some shopping. Any one has done any shopping at Pashupati Market. Suggestions welcome. Did not get any proper reveiws on the net.

Regards,

Vikash

Kolkata, India
Destination Expert
for Kolkata, Darjeeling, India
Level Contributor
8,349 posts
22 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Shooping at pashupati market

Pashupati market is all foreign stuff, but if you are not careful you may get ripped off as well. Stick to what you need and don't go on a buying spree. There is a customs check on the road back, and if you load up your car with too many items you will be in trouble.

Buying things in Darjeeling and Gangtok will be more expensive, but you do not have to face a customs check.

Bangalore
Level Contributor
14 posts
52 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Shooping at pashupati market

Thanks for the info..Any one else who may have experienced shopping at this place. Wanted to know also, if shopkeepers would accept credit card payments as carrying cash is a hassle...and what commodity should we purchase in case if we are doing any shopping at this place.

Regards,

Kolkata, India
Destination Expert
Level Contributor
8,349 posts
22 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Shooping at pashupati market

They have all sorts of imported goods, electronics, shoes, watches, you name it. And its cheap if you can get away without paying the duty at customs, very expensive if you can't. Your risk. My advice would be to buy what you like but do not overdo it. Customs will allow two watches, not a dozen.

Some of them do take credit cards, but its mostly cash. You can change your INR into Nepal Rs at the border.

Bangalore
Level Contributor
14 posts
52 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Shooping at pashupati market

Thanks for the info...Of course whatever would be purchased, it would be for personal use and not for trading so numbers would be very minimul...

Since you are talking about the customs...will I have to shell out any money even though if the shopping is limited? and about converting money from INR to Nepal Rupee..is it neccessary...since I remember visiting Nepal about 10-11 years back and I was able to use direct INR in Kathmandu...

Regards,

Kolkata, India
Destination Expert
Level Contributor
8,349 posts
22 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Shooping at pashupati market

It all depends on the customs officer at the checkpoint. If you can talk your way out you don't have to pay anything. Else you know the usual routine how it goes.

I think you will be able to use INR. I don't remember exactly, last time I went to Pashupati was 7-8 years ago. But I think some of them accepted Rupees.

Bangalore
Level Contributor
14 posts
52 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Shooping at pashupati market

I know..

One more suggestion...How much time is required to visit Mirik and Pashupati...I have planned to go on the day when I would be going to Tiger Hill...

So, what time to leave and how much time to spend in Mirik and then at the market...and what time is idle to return back...

Regards,

Kolkata, India
Destination Expert
Level Contributor
8,349 posts
22 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Shooping at pashupati market

Tiger hill you go very early morning to see the sunrise, you have to leave about 4 am. The road goes past Ghoom. Mirik is in the opposite direction.

You can do Tiger hill in the morning, come back to Darjeeling, have breakfast at Kev's or Glenary's or anywhere you want, and then go to Mirik and Pashupati. Its a 2-3 hour drive to Mirik / Pashupati from Darjeeling, so plan to spend the rest of the day there and come back in the evening.

8. Re: Shooping at pashupati market

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 08 May 2010, 10:01